Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show me your Sheet-goods lifter/mover

Blog Entries

Show me your Sheet-goods lifter/mover

The latest issue of Wood magazine has a plan for a sheet-goods mover. This interested me because I am getting to the point in my life that wrestling with sheets of plywood and MDF is becoming impossible for me. I have a couple of problems with their plan. It looks pretty flimsy, and pretty complicated at the same time. Plus they have you making it out of plywood. I think I could make it from some scrap oak and other hardwood I have laying around, but that doesn't solve the design issues I have with it.
    I searched around SMC and google, but couldn't find very much on the subject. So, if you have some sort of a device that helps you handle sheet goods please show it to me. Especially one I could make rather than buy.

Thanks,
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

What do you think you're looking for? I've seen sheet-goods help that is little more than a handle. It helps you pick up the sheet, but you still have to pick up the sheet. At the other end, I've seen a full cart with a tilting top. You can pull sheets out of your truck on to the cart, tilt it vertical to roll, and tilt it back horizontal to slide sheets on to the table saw or the the bench. The good thing is that you never have to pick up the sheet yourself. The drawback is that the cart is pretty big, to have hanging around the shop when it isn't moving plywood.

Here's another idea:
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...t-goods-mover/
    I have not tried this, I just spotted it the other day while searching for some other projects. It looks like a gecent low-cost, low effort first attempt.
    Last edited by Jay Maiers; 01-16-2012 at 10:26 AM.

I built one of these for a school project.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/mai...0-caddy01.html

Blog Entries
    Jay,
    I really like the idea of this. Simple, cheap, stores easy. I have a 2x4 frame mounted to folding table legs that I could add those hinged supports to to use to lift the sheet onto the table with. This one has potential!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    The workbench mag version is about the best simple one I have seen as it can be scaled to also 'roll' the sheet onto your work surface if that is where you cut them. There can be some jockeying issues due to wheel style/placement. I also would never use it in the manner shown in the pic ;-) The problem with most of these helpers is that you have to wrestle the sheet onto the thing to move it about. I just keep my sheetgoods near where I break them down. Pull out a piece and lay it down on some foam board, slice off a manageable piece, put the remaining piece back and be on my way. My opinion may not be worth much as I can, with the exception of some shop fixtures, say the number of sheets I've used over the past several years is well under a dozen.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Larry,

I don't know about what you can make. I have a Shop Cart, that does as Jamie says. I pull the sheets of my truck onto the cart, tilt the cart, and move them into the shop. Once in the shop you can put the sheets in lumber storage, or keep them on the cart. When I want to cut a full sheet of ply, I roll my cart over to my saw, lock the cart, tilt the ply flat, and slide it through the saw. No lifting involved... It really helps handling sheet goods.

The carts are on the pricey side. However, it sure makes handling sheet goods a lot easier. I also use it a lot as an assembly table.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The workbench mag version is about the best simple one I have seen as it can be scaled to also 'roll' the sheet onto your work surface if that is where you cut them. There can be some jockeying issues due to wheel style/placement. I also would never use it in the manner shown in the pic ;-) The problem with most of these helpers is that you have to wrestle the sheet onto the thing to move it about. I just keep my sheetgoods near where I break them down. Pull out a piece and lay it down on some foam board, slice off a manageable piece, put the remaining piece back and be on my way. My opinion may not be worth much as I can, with the exception of some shop fixtures, say the number of sheets I've used over the past several years is well under a dozen.
    Good points Glenn. Perhaps the addition of a third (swivel) caster on a rear leg would help to keep things balanced? I'm thinking along the lines of an appliance hand truck.

I just took a couple old lawmower wheels, a small axle (threaded rod, maybe 6"-8"), a sleeve about 2-3" and a couple of washers/nuts and made a little 2 wheeled dolley, just lift the panel up, roll it under about 1/2 way and it rolls easy.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The workbench mag version is about the best simple one I have seen
    Are you referring to the Wood Magazine version that Jay Maiers referenced? Or is there a different one in workbench magazine?

I just keep my sheetgoods near where I break them down. Pull out a piece and lay it down on some foam board, slice off a manageable piece, put the remaining piece back and be on my way.
    My problem is mostly to do with unloading the sheet from the pickup and into the shop and then getting it lifted up onto the cutting table. Do you just lay the plywood on the floor? I used to do that when I was younger and didn't have saw horses or cutting tables. I found I really dislike working on my knees.

My opinion may not be worth much as I can, with the exception of some shop fixtures, say the number of sheets I've used over the past several years is well under a dozen.
    I always welcome your opinion! It is always worth more that I paid for it. Even though I tend to use lots of sheet goods in my projects.
    Larry J Browning

There are several companies that make hydraulic tilt up plywood carts. They are pricey new, although so is back surgery. I found a used Hafele for about $300. Good investment. I have also come to love 5x5 BB. I can still lift it. Dave

Blog Entries
    I think the main reason I got to thinking about this is my last project was for norm's router table. I made the top from 3/4 MDF. While wrestling that stuff around, I thought there had to be a better way! Plus, just about every project I do involves some kind of sheet good.
    I am a firm believer in thinking that there is always a simple inexpensive solution to just about every problem. We just need to be creative enough to come up with it. One of my favorite quotes is "Making something complicated is easy. Making something simple is hard."
    Larry J Browning

Reading this thread I think it is a perfect time to consider a track saw or at least a guided circular saw. No reason to sling around an 85lb piece of MDF, lay it down on a piece of pink insulation and cut it to size.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

www.hafele.com/us/documents/HAC_hpc_materialCartMI.pdf

I have one of these Hafele tilting panel shop carts. They work great and no lifting at all. You can even use the jack to lift the sheets up to any height of your tools. You can also put on about 15 sheets of 3/4 material it a beefy cart.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

15. Here is my sheet goods lifter/ mover to the right of the new jointer she helped unload and assemble. I don't think you'll find any plans on the internet to copy her from!
    5-10-2010 004.jpg