Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had to choose: Jet 14" DXPRO or Powermatic 14" PWBS?

If you had to choose: Jet 14" DXPRO or Powermatic 14" PWBS?

Fellow 'Creekers

I've got the ok from wifelet to get a saw - purchase will likely be within the coming month or so....

I thought I'd nailed the selection down to the Jet, but while on a road trip this weekend - to look at saws (and other shop goodies), it was suggested to me by a clerk at one of the retailers to look at the Powermatic. The reason being that by the time I get the Jet fully equipped, I would be approaching the price of the Powermatic.

The thing I like about the Jet is the built in 12" resaw capability - no riser block required. It's two speed, and comes w/ ball bearing blade guides (no blocks, but I don't know whose bearings they are - ie Carter). Also has the blade tension lever. Motor is 1.25hp. This saw is about 35# heavier than the Powermatic.

Bad thing - no rip fence (Kreg for $107), miter guage (Jet for $54.95).

A mobile base is $74.95 (Jet). Blades are $27.95-38.00. Call it a rough total of $1235 w/ the stock blade.

The Powermatic is $1199, a riser block is required (but is included as part of the current sales promotion). Comes w/ a rip fence and miter guage. Also has a work light and dust blower. The clerk at the store indicated that the blade guide bearings are Carter. I was told this is a single speed saw, although I can't find this stated in the literature I have. Motor is 1.5 hp.

Two options for the mobile base (Powermatic's at $200 +/-, due to the design of the base cabinet of the saw), or go w/ a generic base and put a sheet of 3/4" ply down first - so $74.95. W/ just the stock blade and generic mobile base, the unit comes to $1273 - so its close to a wash.

An issue - somewhat minor, is that if I do the Powermatic, once I mount the riser, it is likely to stay on and never come off - so I'd need to buy the equivalent "riser" blade to the one that comes stock, and have a stock blade which never get's used.

I need to get this "as right" as possible the first time. Comments (pro-con) from owners of either machine are welcome.

Many thanks

Jim

I've got the PM with riser block, and have had it since 2009 or so. I got it on sale for a few hundred less than your price. The saw took some time to get everything aligned a co-planar. Once there, the saw has worked well, with just a few gripes. The miter gauge and rip fence are garbage. The miter gauge broke, and I am just waiting for the right sale to come along to replace the rip fence.

The saw is one of my most used in the shop. It is my go-to tool for most rips, especially for rough lumber. I've processed a few logs through this, and the motor was surprisingly robust enough to resaw logs into lumber. My favorite blade for rips and resaws is a 3/4" timberwolf blade. The saw can tension this, but I've had problems with clearance for the 3/4" blade. I had to modify the blade guard, etc. to get it to work. Otherwise, its been a fine saw. It easily passes the nickle test, and dust collection is really nice. However, had I known how much I'd use a bandsaw, I would have saved up to get either a larger Grizzly, or really saved up to get an Italian BS. But if (er, when) I upgrade, I will most likely keep this one.

A friend of mine has the Powermatic and loves it.
    A few points to consider:
    The Powermatic will have better resale value if you ever decide to upgrade.
    The unused OEM blade is most likely not very good anyway and shouldn’t enter into the decision.
    I believe that PM still uses re-branded HTC mobile bases. I have one under my jointer and had one under my old planer – I hated both of them and suggest you look for a Delta base that will fit the PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I know it is not on your list, but if I was spending that kind of money, I would buy a Grizzly G0513x2f steel frame 17" with a 2hp motor.
    cary
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 01-16-2012 at 3:56 PM.

Ditto that. At that price range, I'd be getting a bigger saw, too.

I was in the same place about 3 years ago and went with the 18 inch X-series jet, back then prices were lower (it cost me $1050). I am glad I did. I suppose I'd spend a few hundred more for the same thing now if I had to choose between it and an $1100 14-inch bandsaw.

Was kind of thinking along the same lines but different... The Rikon Deluxe 14" seems to have everything in the OPs requirements list except for a mobile base and miter gauge. And is "only" $949 at Woodcraft. And if the Woodcraft store doesn't have it in stock, you should be able to order it through that store with no delivery charges and pick it up there. At least I was able to when I bought mine a few years ago.

Man, tool prices sure have taken a big jump in the last several months. This bandsaw is $200 more now than what I paid for it.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 01-16-2012 at 4:05 PM.

Jim I own the powermatic with the riser block installed. Its a nice saw, a larger bandsaw is on my "next tool purcase list". I'd like to get $700.00 for my powermatic as its only 1.5 years old. I'd take a long look at Cary's advice on a Grizzly 17" for the same money. The throat on the 14" bandsaw's just does not work for me. IMO you will outgrow a 14" and be kicking yourself for not getting more capacity.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Between the two I would pick the PM, but one thing the guides are NOT Carter guides they are very similar to them and work better than the stock guides on any other currently available 14" cast Delta clone but they aren't Carters. The only actual Carter bit on the PM is the quick release which is very nice. The PM is outfitted better than any available cast 14" saw currently BUT the last price increase from $999 makes it a dubious purchase when it is not on sale, if it were during one of the WMH 15% off sales it would be more appealing.

The Rikon is also a good buy and I prefer the steel spine but the guides and fence are its weakness, Carter guides can be added but then you are over the PM price and the fence is still weak, it in the past was a much better buy also, in the last few years it went on sale for 699 while the PM went on sale for ~850.

Bottom line at $1200 I am getting the Grizzly 513X2 or for $100 more (both prices shipped) I am getting the 513X2F with the foot brake. The quick release and guides are quite as nice but both are servicable but it is a 17" saw and has more power and capacity compared to the PM. The only thing that may be an issue is it does require 220v.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Jim I own the powermatic with the riser block installed. Its a nice saw, a larger bandsaw is on my "next tool purcase list". I'd like to get $700.00 for my powermatic as its only 1.5 years old. I'd take a long look at Cary's advice on a Grizzly 17" for the same money. The throat on the 14" bandsaw's just does not work for me. IMO you will outgrow a 14" and be kicking yourself for not getting more capacity.
    NEVER sale a bandsaw until you have at least 4 left after the sale and certainly never sale one if you only have 2!!!

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Was kind of thinking along the same lines but different... The Rikon Deluxe 14" seems to have everything in the OPs requirements list except for a mobile base and miter gauge. And is "only" $949 at Woodcraft. And if the Woodcraft store doesn't have it in stock, you should be able to order it through that store with no delivery charges and pick it up there. At least I was able to when I bought mine a few years ago.
    this is the best advice in this thread. WMH tool group products are premium priced tools that are never rated as top tools in comaprative tool tests of the major, popular types of power tools (table saws - benchtop, contractor, hybrid or cabinet, band saws, bench top planers and 6" jointers). rikon receives ovewhelmingly positive comments regarding their technical and customer service and, as the owner of a preowned 18" jet band saw, i would humbly advise reconsidering a jet ot powermatic purchase. IMHO, those brands are only trading on their past reputations and are mere shadows of their former selves appealing primarily to tool snobs.

go with the rikon. if you can wait, woodcraft reduces them ~$200 twice a year. so at $750, a better saw than the jet or powermatic is available at a much better price, resulting in a better value and more intelligent tool purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    this is the best advice in this thread. WMH tool group products are premium priced tools that are never rated as top tools in comaprative tool tests of the major, popular types of power tools (table saws - benchtop, contractor, hybrid or cabinet, band saws, bench top planers and 6" jointers). rikon receives ovewhelmingly positive comments regarding their technical and customer service and, as the owner of a preowned 18" jet band saw, i would humbly advise reconsidering a jet ot powermatic purchase. IMHO, those brands are only trading on their past reputations and are mere shadows of their former selves appealing primarily to tool snobs.

go with the rikon. if you can wait, woodcraft reduces them ~$200 twice a year. so at $750, a better saw than the jet or powermatic is available at a much better price, resulting in a better value and more intelligent tool purchase.
    Never is a dangerous term and in this case incorrect. I know you have a chip on your shoulder as a result of your experience with your $40 Craig's List 18" Jet bandsaw but I am curious, have you ever owned or used a PM machine?

I do agree that the Rikon can be a better saw if the guide issue is addressed and maybe the fence as well, due to its steel spine.

Used is the way to go for a 14" bandsaw, IMHO. If I were buying a saw as you suggest, I would hit CL for an American made Delta 14". Expect to pay $200 - $400, mainly depending upon which type base (open or closed.) Saws with riser blocks don't appear as regularly as ones without. From Ittura Design, get a spinner tension knob, or make your own. Last year, Wood had a "Top Tip" on adding DC to a 14" BS, which required no cutting of the saw. Proud owner of three Delta 14" BS.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Joseph Tarantino;1852888]this is the best advice in this thread. WMH tool group products are premium priced tools that are never rated as top tools in comaprative tool tests of the major, popular types of power tools (table saws - benchtop, contractor, hybrid or cabinet, band saws, bench top planers and 6" jointers). rikon receives ovewhelmingly positive comments regarding their technical and customer service and, as the owner of a preowned 18" jet band saw, i would humbly advise reconsidering a jet ot powermatic purchase. IMHO, those brands are only trading on their past reputations and are mere shadows of their former selves appealing primarily to tool snobs.

Not true. i bought a Powermatic 719 Hollow Chisel Mortiser based on the reviews of a tool test performed by American Woodworker magazine. Had it several years now and it has been a very positive experience to own it. This was actually my first Powermatic tool, Others followed, Happy with all of them.

I really have no idea what your problem is with Powermatic. I read posts all the time of people that are perfectly satisfied with their lathe, or shaper, or table saw, or jointer, or planer or whatever else. To some people, Powermatic seem to be their preferred brand and favorite tools.

Self moderation is a good thing. I think people should not comment on the performance of a particular tool unless they have at least used it.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 01-17-2012 at 4:57 AM.

I was trying to decide between those two saws last month. I ended up with a Steel City Granite Deluxe saw instead. It has all the extras included - roller base, 12" resaw, 1 1/2 hp, quick detensioner, lamp, fence and roller guides. The granite lower wheel makes it resaw well without noticeably slowing down.

Mine's been great sofar although the factory tires were junk and totally out of round, which caused a ton of vibration. I replaced them and added a couple little stick-on weights to balance the wheels.

Right now they're $800.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pd...011_lowres.pdf

I would buy used. I've seen Italian saws for cheaper than this. One thing to remember with bandsaws is that size matters. You want a pretty robust machine to tension the blade adequately. Especially if you want to resaw.

And the best thing about buying used is:
    1) You'll likely get a bunch of free blades
    2) if you don't like it, you'll be able to change your mind without loosing your shirt.

Also, if you want to resaw, you may want to consider at least a 20 inch saw, that way the blades take less fatigue going around a smaller wheel.

If there is one tool to splurge on, it's the bandsaw. A nice one is a pleasure to use, while a smaller one trying to do a large saws job is no fun. I'm all for a 14 inch saw, I would like to have one, but it would be a 200-400 dollar delta.