Thread: If you're having trouble learning sketchup...

If you're having trouble learning sketchup...

I found a great site for sketchup woodworking tutorials. I was about ready to give up on SU myself...until I found this guy.

Wow.

It has helped me tremendously. No kidding.

I don't know him, but he seems like a good guy. The rest of his site is pretty cool too.

http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm

I hope this is as much of a help to you all as it was/is to me.

The one thing I don't understand about SketchUp is why all lessons for it are videos

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    The one thing I don't understand about SketchUp is why all lessons for it are videos
    What format would you expect the lessons to be in for a 3D, visual design tool with a graphical user interface?

Fine Woodworking's store has an e-book by Tom Killen, Sketchup Guide for Woodworkers. It's on sale now for $9.09. I bought it a while ago, and have learned a lot from it.

I'd like to see text w/ screen grabs as necessary --- prefer to go at my own pace, rather than having to wait for a video.

Not really interested in purchasing anything either --- the program is free, it's rather silly that the documentation (in a useful format --- I don't consider videos useful for the reason given above) isn't as well.

The only thing I haven't puzzled out yet which I'm (mildly) curious about is componentization and setting up a part so that it rotates on a hinge --- but I don't see needing that enough for me to sit through a video.

William

The only thing I haven't puzzled out yet which I'm (mildly) curious about is componentization and setting up a part so that it rotates on a hinge --- but I don't see needing that enough for me to sit through a video.
    All you've wanted to know about components in less than five minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1QpoNO-1zM

As for free vs. paying - there are a lot of free SketchUp resources out there as well. But I find it funny that people won't pay about what they'd spend for a fast food lunch for the Taunton e-book mentioned above to become more productive. And the simple reason that SketchUp has the free version is because Google makes their money in other ways and wanted the technology for Google Warehouse and the Google Earth models.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Boegen View Post
    Fine Woodworking's store has an e-book by Tom Killen, Sketchup Guide for Woodworkers. It's on sale now for $9.09. I bought it a while ago, and have learned a lot from it.

This may be the justification for me buying a Kindle. I've been wanting a tablet for the shop and avoiding ebooks because most of my reading take place in the, ahem, reading room and I'm not dragging a computer in there. My daughter's fire is pretty nice and I hear they are gong to re;lease a version of it with a larger screen...

Google sketchup video's and there are plenty to check out and learn from. Any tool you want to try just google it, ie: sketchup rotate video. Should be all you need.

I'd like to see text w/ screen grabs as necessary --- prefer to go at my own pace, rather than having to wait for a video.

Not really interested in purchasing anything either --- the program is free, it's rather silly that the documentation (in a useful format --- I don't consider videos useful for the reason given above) isn't as well.

William
    First off - Hi to everyone. This is my first post on SawMill Creek. I have often found myself coming to this site through The Google when looking for some outside thinking to my own woodworking issues and so I finally decided to make my visits official . I am a woodworker who started out as a boatbuilder, moved into cabinet making and furniture building too with lots of housebuilding stuff mixed in. Never enough time to do it all but still doing and that's what counts. As for Sketch Up it has changed the way I present my designs. I have yet to NOT get a job that I have designed and presented with SU. Having said that, I am still learning too and one of my favorite guide tools (that answers some of Williams expressed need to see text w/screen grabs) is Bob Lang's Woodworker's Guide to Google Sketch Up 7. Found it through the Wood Whisperer site. I am using SU 8 on a Mac but there is plenty of info with this SU 7 tutorial to make it worth the $ 40.00. It is an Adobe PDF format. Once you down load onto your computer you can have the "book" open on your desk top as you draw in SU and so refer to it as you work. There are a plenty of videos in each chapter but it is pretty text heavy with lots of illustrations. I think you would like this format William.

Thanks to Harold though for the heads up to that great link. WOW is right. Another great SU rescource. Don't forget to sign up at SketchUp university for so much more. OK, then. Looking forward to more from you all. Glad to be in the Creek

Sam
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-18-2012 at 8:28 PM. Reason: Removed forum link. Linking to outside forums is not allowed per the TOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    First off - Hi to everyone. This is my first post on SawMill Creek. I have often found myself coming to this site through The Google when looking for some outside thinking to my own woodworking issues and so I finally decided to make my visits official . I am a woodworker who started out as a boatbuilder, moved into cabinet making and furniture building too with lots of housebuilding stuff mixed in. Never enough time to do it all but still doing and that's what counts. As for Sketch Up it has changed the way I present my designs. I have yet to NOT get a job that I have designed and presented with SU. Having said that, I am still learning too and one of my favorite guide tools (that answers some of Williams expressed need to see text w/screen grabs) is Bob Lang's Woodworker's Guide to Google Sketch Up 7. Found it through the Wood Whisperer site. I am using SU 8 on a Mac but there is plenty of info with this SU 7 tutorial to make it worth the $ 40.00. It is an Adobe PDF format. Once you down load onto your computer you can have the "book" open on your desk top as you draw in SU and so refer to it as you work. There are a plenty of videos in each chapter but it is pretty text heavy with lots of illustrations. I think you would like this format William.

Thanks to Harold though for the heads up to that great link. WOW is right. Another great SU rescource. Don't forget to sign up at SketchUp university for so much more. OK, then. Looking forward to more from you all. Glad to be in the Creek

Sam
    Sam! Welcome to the Creek. I know you'll find this place to be a VERY helpful (and friendly) environment.

And...I can already tell you yourself will be a welcome and valuable addition.

Glad to have you here!

When I was learning the basics, the best tutorials videos I found were done by Rob Cameron:

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/