Thread: Porter Cable pocket hole jig

Porter Cable pocket hole jig

I would like to get some feed back from owners of the Porter Cable quick jig pocket hole jig, pros vs cons.

Thanks!
    Ed

I would think the con would be the price. The Kreg is pretty much the standard and is less expensive. I have a little double barrel Kreg that I think I paid $20 for aot lowes. It does everything I need it to do, but I am not a production shop. I have not used the Porter Cable but it looks way too complicated, but I am sure it is a fine machine. I have not heard anyone on any of the forums that I visit say they have one.

First I do not own the PC but a neighbor does and I have used it several times. It is somewhat easier to setup and doesn't cost a LOT more than the K3 (which I think is the best Kreg version but I think they are discontinued but they are still around). The thing I didn't like about the PC was the REALLY long bit, it seemed rather akward to me. The Kreg is extremely well liked and supported, you can get a lot of accessories and the bits are available locally for many people. In the end I would not trade my Kreg K3 for it even but the setup is quicker in most cases, has a stop black and allows you to vary hole spacing, none of which wins me over but it is good, just not good enough to replace the "king" in my shop.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Short of a Castle pocket hole machine, there are two types. Those who have a Kreg, and those who wish they had a Kreg.

Porter Cable has a $25 dollar rebate on it that I was able to use today, so before taxes and after the rebate I only have $99 dollars in my Porter Cable. I own one of the first version Kreg Jigs (plastic not metal) and the clamp is on the wrong side, it doesn't have dust collection, and you have to adjust the bit for different thickness of wood.

For me it's an upgrade and I'll be able to make a pocket hole station somewhere in the shop. I bought it at the Woodworking Show in Kansas City, so I don't know if this deal is available online or not.

Steve,
    Where did you get the PC pocket hole jig for $124? I see it on Amazon for $190, no rebate, and higher on other sites. I'd like to get it at your price, but not willing to pay 200 bucks for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roxberg View Post
    Porter Cable has a $25 dollar rebate on it that I was able to use today, so before taxes and after the rebate I only have $99 dollars in my Porter Cable. I own one of the first version Kreg Jigs (plastic not metal) and the clamp is on the wrong side, it doesn't have dust collection, and you have to adjust the bit for different thickness of wood.

For me it's an upgrade and I'll be able to make a pocket hole station somewhere in the shop. I bought it at the Woodworking Show in Kansas City, so I don't know if this deal is available online or not.

One of the vendors at "The Woodworking Show" in Kansas City that is here this weekend. They provided the rebate for and in fact are submitting the rebate for me. Sorry to tease because I don't remember the vendor's name but I got the sense that it was special show pricing. I just wanted to let people know that if you get the right deal they can actually be found for less than the Kreg.

I started with the heavy aluminum Kreg back when and have pretty much purchased every "upgrade" as they've come out.
    I don't keep track of the models but I've got the clamp in the back, clamp in the front, the double barreled portable kit with the plastic setbacks and a handful of the singles dispersed in my drill boxes. Next on the list is the little setup for thin stock.

I also have the Porter Cable jig... it does what it's supposed to do and does it well. Set the drill bit once and the jig adjusts to the stock thickness quickly, adjustable centers, etc. The vac hookup also accepts my Fein vac hose directly whereas the Kreg required adaptation for the same vac.

The Porter Cable stays in the shop and is the first jig I go to when "normal" pockets are needed. I take the Kregs out for the odd assembly and to the jobsite where the versatility of the jigs can really shine.

If you can clamp or screw down a Kreg you can punch a pocket anywhere on a piece of wood or assembly, not quite as easily done with the Porter Cable.

Just did up a batch of face frames.... used the PC exclusively.

Recently resurrected an old site built mantle assembly that was falling apart at the joints... tightened everything up from the backside using only the Kregs without the need to completely disassemble the thing.

I like them both a lot but if I was forced to have only one system it would be the Kreg.... simple and versatile.
    Last edited by Tom Ewell; 01-28-2012 at 12:41 AM.