Thread: Table saw fence isn't flat

Table saw fence isn't flat

I noticed recently that my fence has developed a shallow spot right in line with the blade. It's maybe 1/64 or 1/32. I haven't measured, that's just a guess. So the question is, is it worth finding someone to machine it flat again or just attach a hardwood face? If I go for the hardwood, what is the best method to attach it? The fence is a Delta T2 that I've been quite happy with up to this point.

A good temp fix is a piece of scrap and double-sticky tape.

Can you shim behind the face to straighten it out?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Can you shim behind the face to straighten it out?
    I'll have to look closer at that. What would make a good shim for such a small error?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    I'll have to look closer at that. What would make a good shim for such a small error?
    I have a Biese fence on my Uni and had the same problem. Don't know if your fence is similar but I was able to carefully pry the fence out enough to push some shim stock in there. A few years back I bought a package of plastic shim stock - it's has been well worth it over the years.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I have a Biese fence on my Uni and had the same problem. Don't know if your fence is similar but I was able to carefully pry the fence out enough to push some shim stock in there. A few years back I bought a package of plastic shim stock - it's has been well worth it over the years.

Mike
    I have some brass shim stock but, have used cut up strips of aluminum can to build to the desired thickness with good success. The aluminum is OK as long as there are pressures capable of squishing it and your fince would not present these kinds of forces.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler