Thread: drive by gloat

drive by gloat

An offer was made to me to purchase a woodworking shop with "1000's" of hand tools. My ears perked up and I drove a couple hours to go see it. A 94-year-old man was selling everything, and the new owner didn't have a use for any of the tools.

When I got there, I was sorely disappointed. There was not 1000's of hand tools. Maybe 3 dozen, and those were wrenches and el cheapos. The good stuff was gone.

However, there was machinery.

Delta Contractor saw with extension
    Delta 14" band saw
    Delta DJ-20 8" jointer
    Delta dust collect
    Delta Shaper
    Jet 17" benchtop Drill Press
    Delta wide belt/disk sander
    Delta 36" benchtop lathe
    Delta 13" (or 15"?) planer (corner post model - heavy duty)

I didn't have any use for any of it, but I asked my dad, and he said he was interested.

We settled on $2500 for the whole shebang.

I took off yesterday and we went and picked it all up. When we got there, the shop had, AGAIN, been picked over. I was a bit perturbed, and could have refused to buy anything, but decided there was still value in what we were getting, and the majority of items that had disappeared weren't worth turning down the deal. (Except for the 7 Asley Isles turning tools that were noticeably missing)

This is what the shop looked like before we started loading, and that's what the trailer looked like loaded. You can't seen the floor of the trailer, or the bed of my truck, but it's loaded with vises, almost 2 complete sets of antique/hobbiest pully-drive tablesaws, bandsaws, edge jointers, & a mini-lathe.

I left all the chemicals except a few.

DSC_3816.jpg DSC_3815.jpg DSC_3814.jpg DSC_3817.jpg DSC_3818.jpg

Go ahead - tell me I suck.

Todd

Planer looks like a DC-33 13" x 5.9" from OWWM manual picture. Looks like Exfactory sold one not too long ago for $610. Not bad!!

Very nice score for the price, even without the lathe tools. As far as I'm concerned you definately rate a hearty "you SUCK". Good idea to leave most of the chemicals behind.