Thread: Brad point drill bit set

Brad point drill bit set

My current twist drill bits aren't going to cut it on my next project. Wood Magazine recomends the Wood Stock Internatioal 25 piece set. Is this set any good? I can't afford the Lee Valley set because my budget is in the 30 to 40 dollar range. Do you have any other suggestions? I know I will get what I pay for, but a middle of the road set will be better than current my twist drill bits in wood.

Thanks

LOML gave me the Steelex 27 piece set for Christmas, I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but what I have used cuts nice and clean...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    The set from Woodcraft? I recently ordered 4 sets, 2 of the twists and 2 of the brads, then split them evenly between the four of us in DAMP. No complaints about them so far.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Let me suggest a different route. I suggest you buy a very high quality 7pc set which if you are like most woodworkers will cover 90% of your needs, then make up the odd sizes with a cheap set. The quality of the holes with excellent bits is amazing compared to the cheap ones. I recommend Forest City, they are US made, short of that the Colt 5 stars made in Germany. https://www.forestcitytool.biz/produ...id=45&cat_id=4

I think Highland woodworking sells the Forrest set and maybe individual bits as well. I am a sucker for quality tooling, the best machines in the world can't overcome poor tooling.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've been pretty pleased with the 25 piece set I got from MLCS a couple years ago. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/drlbrad.html