Thread: My new woodchipper

Thumbs up My new woodchipper

Thought you guys would like to see my new tooling for my CNC. I asked Schmidt for something that I could use to rough out blanks. 3-1/2" D x 5" long. Replacable Carbide inserts, all mounted up to a HSK arbor.

Nasty peice of tooling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

Eeeayow! That'll chew up some wood in a hurry! What are you making with this?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Blog Entries
    And here I thought a jointer was bad... at least a jointer doesn't move the cutter. I would want to stand well outside the boundaries of that CNC!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

What RPM will you run that monster? That is a lot of mass that will, um, get interesting if it starts to chatter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That tooling looks pretty expensive too!
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

I doubt that it would vibrate. An aluminum spiral head wouldn't weigh much, and the spiral? Dang... those things will CHEW up some wood without even thinking about it...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Heck with the tooling I want to see the spindle.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

We make heavy solid wood products, solid wood tops, solid wood table parts etc. I have been using 3/4" x 6" carbide spirals for most of our roughing passes. Those bits cost ~$400 ea. I have snapped one already. They also get dull and last ~10 hours of machining, then have to be sharpened and I have to put in tool wear offsets (PIA). I needed something bigger and faster that would take out more material. This whole setup cost ~$800, so I figure two bits and I'm there. The carbide inserts are about a buck a peice, and have four sides and last forever. My planer uses them and we probably plane 3000 bdft a week and we turn the inserts twice a year. I can also run my 1-1/4" shaper cutters on the arbor, so it is a mulitasker.

I will run this at 10k rpm to start, it is laser balanced, I am not concerned about vibration, my CNC spindle is 15hp and can carry a 25lb aggregate tool around no problem. For comparision my SCMI shaper has a 10hp motor and I can run dual 12" tenon cutters on that no problem, it's not really that different. I wouldn't hesitate to put a cutter like this on my shaper and use it with a follower bearing and a template.

I will post of video of a test flight, rest assured it will make some chips.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grothouse View Post
    I will run this at 10k rpm to start, it is laser balanced, I am not concerned about vibration, my CNC spindle is 15hp and can carry a 25lb aggregate tool around no problem.
    Paul, I Googled what a "Andi Stratus Pro" is.. it looks pretty stout.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'd bet that steel HSK tool holder weighs more than the tool body with all the inserts in it....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain