Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Believe that people are willing to work for free........

Can't Believe that people are willing to work for free........

I just bid a job cutting out some basic shapes (about 4" x 3") out of baltic birch (takes about 1 minute each on my 45 watt)........no minimums were even discussed yet......so it could have been 2 or 200 or 2,000 (but I'm guessing closer to 50). I bid $2 each........and I find out he is paying $0.50 each. That barely covers the cost of the wood!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

How are they cutting them though? I have ordered wooden shapes for much cheaper than I could make them on the laser and it looks like they turn the shapes on a duplicating lathe then slice them on a band saw. Even like that I don't see how they can be so cheap, but they must be making money on them otherwise why sell them?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

You were cheap, he is going to be out of business if he is a business.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I get 24 in 4:30 or so at 75W, so it might not be as bad as you think. I could do 50 of them in 10 minutes. 50 x .50 cents each, $25 for 10 minutes work? Baltic Birch is cheap. That's like $2 worth of material.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 01-18-2012 at 3:00 PM.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I get 24 in 4:30 or so at 75W, so it might not be as bad as you think. I could do 50 of them in 10 minutes. 50 x .50 cents each, $25 for 10 minutes work? Baltic Birch is cheap. That's like $2 worth of material.
    Closer to $12 for the birch ply.
    Not much margin at 50 cents.
    Howard Garner

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Garner View Post
    Closer to $12 for the birch ply.
    Not much margin at 50 cents.
    Howard Garner
    $12 for a 5' x 5' sheet. Many people have it in stock and use it all the time so you can charge by the sq. ft on it rather than having to charge for a whole sheet.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It was 1/8" thick BB which I can't find in a 5' x 5' sheet.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

kencraftcompany dot com
    They have BB/BB 12.15 a sheet
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Woodcraft is $5.29 for 12"x30".

For a small quantity of 50 at .50 each it's $25.00, not worth turning on the machine for that.

Maybe he's looking for a local source because it takes too long to get them cut in China. Remember that people often fake a better price elsewhere to bring your price down. On the other hand, he may have found a new laser
    owner desperate for work.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Don't we hear this all the time. There is always somebody out there that can do it cheaper, maybe not making any money on that order or hoping to make more in the future with them. Sometimes lowballing one job leads to larger more lucrative ones; but I would consider that more the exception than the rule. While I don't have all of the overhead for a "storefront" operation; I can't sell for 50% off either and make a living / profit. While I don't sell for MSRP or retail pricing, I can't / won't cut my throat either. Eventually the Chinese way of life (CHEAP) will go away for a good portion; as even they can't continue to pay $.10 an hour either.

Most customers will get it as cheap as they can or say they can; but many engraving shops have gone out of business with that model and mostly only the MSRP people still have storefronts - at least here locally that I can see. My business is finally growing as people become aware that there aren't as many games in town. I don't soak them either. But like Laserbuzz talks - what happens in your city may or may not work in mine. If you're the only game going; then you can charge what you want or they can go on-line.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Quick update......I asked the guy where he was buying them at that price and he just told me it was a local high school......but they are closed during the summer, so he was looking for a backup supplier............lol!

Blog Entries
    You could make a stink about that, Steve, if you really wanted to, and get that operation shut down. The taxpayers should not be put in the position of subsidizing a sweatshop.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I was under the impression that in NY State anyone who gets money from the State (like a school would) is not allowed to compete with local businesses. They can do work for free or low prices for non-profits only. We ran into this many times in the prison with local groups asking for the inmates to do free work for all kinds of things from Boys Scouts to cemeteries to local theater groups. In the event that work was approved, they had to provide all materials.

~ dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I have always viewed laser engraving machines as teachers toys not teaching tools.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

No doubt he is paying cash, probably some student or teacher making some "beer money"
    Dee is correct that unless it's a private school, no gov funding they could be in trouble doing
    projects like this.

Steve at least he told you it was a school, now you know not to waste time figuring out a price
    next time.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!