Thread: OT. Grandson Tools

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home

OT. Grandson Tools

My grandson turns 9 in July and he wants some "tool" like Papa has. Where can I find tools for him.

TIA
    Bill

Bill,

Same answers as on the Oak. Get him smaller versions of good quality tools. Teach him to use them and if he takes up WW, he'll be using them and be able to hand them down to his grandson.

The idea of precutting some wood and then building atool box for them/him is a great idea as well.

Have fun!!
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Blog Entries

Down sized tools!

I'm not sure where they found them, but my parents bought me downsized tools that were pretty good quality. I kept most of them and passed them on to my son. The hand saw is currently hanging in my shop so it will bethere for my grandson(s). There are smaller versions of most hand tools available. Local flea markets will yield a number of smaller hand planes that can be cleaned up and tuned up to be real working planes again.

Just be sure he gets some training on what can be cut and what shouldn't be. Otherwise there may be regrets when he does damage to something with his good intentions.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Real Tools

Bill,

For a 9 year old, I would go with "Real Tools". Maybe not expensive tools, but I would get him a 13 oz. hammer, a 16 ft. tape measure, a couple of real screw drivers, and maybe a coping saw.

(And safety glasses)
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I learned with real, unplugged, tools when I was his age. A smaller hammer so he can handle it...backsaw...sharpe should be watched...let him be as much like Grandpa as possible. Let him goof up and be a kid. You'll be very surprised at how well he does...if he's interested. I still remember those times.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Try Sears

The larger sears outlets have real smaller tools for kids. I bought a couple of sets two years ago for 2 of my grandsons. There was a tape, hammer, pliers, screwdriver, small box of nails and screws, etc. If I remember there was a set with a small hand saw too. Steve

Tools for kids

Every year since I can remember, I have gotten my son (now 8) a real tool or tools, like a hammer, tape measure, hand saw, wrench set, drill bits, screwdrivers, sockets, etc. This year Santa brought him a cordless drill and a work radio/charger set. I got him "real" tools so that when he is old enough to be on his own, he will already have a decent set of tools for himself.

He just told me that he wants a scroll saw when he turns 9. Thanks, Terry Quiram.
    JB