Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high school closing cnc programs

high school closing cnc programs

James Mcgrew

I need your help

tuesday night i am going to speak at the board meeting for richland district two as the principle of richland northeast high school with one year of experience is moving to eliminate the auto and cabinetmaking programs and replace them with culinary arts at the high school level. this program has cnc machines and growth in students since its inception. any one in the columbia are...a who can attend i would appreciate it. this is not about any local area it is about all. this is about exposure to manufactiing and self made ingenuity, it includes signmaking, plastics, construction and the list goes on. if you could send me short emails on your thoughts, this will be graetly appreciated, i will submit them to the board

the students really need your help

A few years back I attended a local school district auction where they were selling out the industrial arts and home economics programs of our local schools. Much of the shop equipment I recognized from when I went to school. It was said that the kids were not interested in that stuff, so those classes were replaced with computer labs. So now we will have young people well educated in a field that's constantly evolving, yet won't know which way to turn a screw to tighten it, or basic sewing. But I guess that's what we have China for!

John

thanks john,, i need to add that

i need to confess that i have benn one algebra class away from my degree in institutional hospiltailty management for 30 years i was 3 credit horus away and went back into business woodworking

i am approaching this on an inclusion not an either or choice as we need education at all levels

Try to get in touch with WoodLINKS USA. http://woodlinksusa.org/ They act as a bridge between industry and education to equip students for woodworking careers.

One of our local High School wood shop programs is thriving because of the passion of the instructor Dean Mattson. Dean is an industry professional that was offered the opportunity to educate at the high school level. He has used his business experience, his passion, and most of all, his faith to transform the woodshop into a business where the students are active in the entire process. He has business contacts in the industry that have been immense help and have donated thousands of dollars worth of equipment and tooling to his program. He calls them "partners" and has signs and banners around the shop representing each of them.

One example Dean uses is of how some students do not have the math skills necessary for wood shop. Some don't even know how to read a tape measure. One of his vendors donated several hundred fractional tape measures and gave one to each student upon completion of an applicable test. Dean had a ceremony with the Principal present to hand out the tapes and recognize the students.

One thing that I really admire about Dean is that he has completely devoted himself to the program. He gets to know the students, shares his experiences both personal and professional, and generally lets the students know that he is there for them and not the job.

James, PM me your contact info and I will see if the local Woodlinks people are able to help out.

Jerrimy
    Last edited by Jerrimy Snook; 01-19-2012 at 9:41 AM.
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

James

Career and Technical programs such as the ones you have mentioned are being cut across the country. Unfortunately not all of our students are college bound and a lot of the reasons these kids stay in school is because of these vocational programs. Cutting these programs will probably increase the dropout rate because you are taking away a valuable trade from students who might not otherwise stay in school to graduate.

Jackie Outten

th AWI and carolina chapters have contacted me

So another perspective - if it comes down to having cabinet making or culinary arts - which better trains the students for a long term stable career choice? I know we all love wood working and some of you make a living at it. The fact is though both of these are career technical training curriculums. Culinary arts reaches a wider majority of the student base and is applicable to more jobs than auto service, cabinet making, and CNC programs combined. It offers better continuing education opportunities for the students, opens them up to more jobs in more places in the world, opens them up to more OTJT while they go to school, and really is a skill that can be far more applicable in their non professional daily lives and can directly affect their kids/families health and development. I am all for career training but in this case culinary arts wins for what could be the best training for the students in the long run.

Seek an option to have them all. Partner with other schools.

You guys want to really help - donate a furniture piece to their culinary arts program so they can auction it off and get them even more money to get supplies they could not typically afford.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Outten View Post
    James

Career and Technical programs such as the ones you have mentioned are being cut across the country. Unfortunately not all of our students are college bound and a lot of the reasons these kids stay in school is because of these vocational programs. Cutting these programs will probably increase the dropout rate because you are taking away a valuable trade from students who might not otherwise stay in school to graduate.

Jackie Outten
    Jackie, not sure why you think Culinary Arts is NOT a career training program??
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike,

I am a business teacher and we have a fabulous culinary program at our high school. The students cook on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and open up the "Bistro" to the faculty and staff during all four lunch blocks on those days. We also have cosmetology, agriculture, CAD, nursing, NJROTC, electronics and pre-engineering, business and information technology/marketing, and TV production classes. The Carpentry program and the preschool program at our high school were cut a couple of years ago. Those two programs were filled to capacity. Some of our students would probably drop out if they could no longer participate CTE. I am glad I don't have to make the tough decisions. I wish no else had to as well.

Jackie
    Last edited by Jackie Outten; 01-19-2012 at 7:13 PM.

i have recieved dozens of emails today and now some real national media support (more on that later) yet one piece that brady watson placed on the shopbot forum was really cool and hit the point on the nail head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cC0JPs-rcF0

That video has ben around awhile, but never gets old!

John

posted last night on mike rowes forum and got three response emails so far just from that one,, google his website he is quite an activist for us

Best support you could get would be local business owners who rely on the program as a source for skilled workers.

i have several coming with me !! the emails are helping and we have some "faces" too,, this has gained strength and has teeth

Well, how did it go?

Bob