Thread: Sublimation Paper Help/Recommendation

Sublimation Paper Help/Recommendation

Hey guys,

I have an Epson 1400 printer and currently I am getting my sublimation paper from JDS, I have been having a lot of trouble with this paper, it will wrap around the printer roll, wont stay flat while printing so the printer heads will smir on the paper and sometimes will rip the paper to shreds, lastly it take me many tries to actually print something since most of the time the printer will spit the empty page out.

I had some sample paper before and it worked perfectly, but I cant remember where it came from.

What are you guys using, and what would you recommend???
    Custom built PC Water Cooled Intel CoreI7 Gulftown 6Core CPU 3.597GHZ , 24GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 with triple 22" Monitors

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *Epilog FiberMark 20W - Rotary Attachment
    *ULS V460 50W-Dual Head-Rotary Attachment-Vector Cutting Table
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    * New Hermes IS400IQ Rotary Engraver
    * New Hermes IS400TM Rotary Engraver
    *Vision 1624 Rotary

Lenin

I don't think it's the paper . The problem you're describing sounds more like a printer issue.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Lenin

I don't think it's the paper . The problem you're describing sounds more like a printer issue.

That was my first thought, but i tried the printer with different paper (normal print and copy paper, photo paper) and it works fine
    Custom built PC Water Cooled Intel CoreI7 Gulftown 6Core CPU 3.597GHZ , 24GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 with triple 22" Monitors

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    *Vision 1624 Rotary

I use Image Right from Coastal Business, never had a problem. Ran it on a Epson 1100 till I changed over to a Ricoh printer about six months ago.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

We had the same problem when we used JDS paper. We switched to Johnson Plastics and havent had the problem for awhile.

You can also try paper from Conde. Are you keeping your paper n a ziplog bag or something to ensure it is not absorbing moisture. I believe sublimation paper is more prone to this than regular regular copy paper. You can also try to dry under the heat press for 20 seconds or so and then put it in the printer.
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030

I use Johnson Plastic Economy Paper on my R1800 trouble free.... I think a good printer cleaning is in order.... I know the regular paper works... But a sensor of guide is dirty or bent.

I saw a guy once clean a printer path by running paper through with some alcohol sprayed in the center of the paper just as the paper started to leave... That way the Dry paper around the wet area will drag it through. Wet only one side at a time.

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I also had problems with JDS paper leaving pizza wheel marks with my C88. Switched over to Johnson Plastics paper with no problems. I guess that the Johnson Plastics paper dries quicker.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Lenin Alvarez View Post
    Hey guys,

I have an Epson 1400 printer and currently I am getting my sublimation paper from JDS, I have been having a lot of trouble with this paper, it will wrap around the printer roll, wont stay flat while printing so the printer heads will smir on the paper and sometimes will rip the paper to shreds, lastly it take me many tries to actually print something since most of the time the printer will spit the empty page out.

I had some sample paper before and it worked perfectly, but I cant remember where it came from.

What are you guys using, and what would you recommend???

Talk to Wayne www.spectrumprof.com He is the best!!!

tami

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Digby View Post
    I use Image Right from Coastal Business, never had a problem. Ran it on a Epson 1100 till I changed over to a Ricoh printer about six months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Overturf View Post
    We had the same problem when we used JDS paper. We switched to Johnson Plastics and havent had the problem for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Ress View Post
    You can also try paper from Conde. Are you keeping your paper n a ziplog bag or something to ensure it is not absorbing moisture. I believe sublimation paper is more prone to this than regular regular copy paper. You can also try to dry under the heat press for 20 seconds or so and then put it in the printer.

Thanks for the recommendations, I had no idea Johnsons had paper, I will take a look at Coastal Business and Conde. I dont have the paper in a zip bag I dont know if they make 11x17" bags, but i will try the drying thing. Have any of you guys tried BestBlanks.com paper?

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    *Vision 1624 Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    I use Johnson Plastic Economy Paper on my R1800 trouble free.... I think a good printer cleaning is in order.... I know the regular paper works... But a sensor of guide is dirty or bent.

I saw a guy once clean a printer path by running paper through with some alcohol sprayed in the center of the paper just as the paper started to leave... That way the Dry paper around the wet area will drag it through. Wet only one side at a time.

Good Luck,

AL
    I have never heard of that before, but sounds right, maybe i will give it a try if when I get new paper still does the same thing.

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    *Vision 1624 Rotary