Thread: Penguin Donkeys

Penguin Donkeys

Here's a neat little bookcase slash side table. the originals were built in the 1930s with perhaps 100 of them made before WWII caused the cessation of production. It was designed to store paperback books published by Penguin Books. Penguin had standardized the dimensions of paperbacks shortly before these were made. This is actually the MkII Penguin Donkey. MkI was made with bent plywood. I expect the MkII version came about as a less costly version to make.

I was able to get detailed dimensions from an original. I am considering making one or two but as the original is only 15 inches tall, I might scale it up to about 18 or 20 inchest tall. Next step, shop drawings.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-22-2012 at 2:34 PM.

Can't wait to see the finish product.

Just sort of love the name donkey for any piece of furniture.

Hmm.. Do paperbacks still exist? Or will they in a few years? Maybe a stand for an E-reader would have more future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Hmm.. Do paperbacks still exist? Or will they in a few years? Maybe a stand for an E-reader would have more future.
    yes Jamie , there is paperbacks but what the next fifty years will happen even I R S do not know

Actually I don't really care if there will be paperbacks in a few years. I do have some now but I mostly want it as a side table to put next to my Ekornes chair.