Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need ideas or plans for lumber rack

I bought my lumber racks used from a pallet rack dealer in Houston. They are identical (even in color) to the Home Depot vertical lumber racks they use for their Pine and other stuff. $250 for a 12' long section. I have 3 of these and a 14' long "flat" rack I keep shorts on that was designed to hold pallets.

When I'm done with them, they'll probably be happy to buy them back.

Todd

Alan,
    I was trying to get more depth, I suppose you could store them like you have it with more than one row deep. That may be better and you would only have to move a board or two at the most to get to what you want if its on the back row.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Alan,
    I was trying to get more depth, I suppose you could store them like you have it with more than one row deep. That may be better and you would only have to move a board or two at the most to get to what you want if its on the back row.
    Mike
    My top arms are 18" long, so, except for a rare wide board, my lumber is stacked edge to edge, two deep.

Mine is a cheap version of horizontal racks...made of 2x4's. Actually, studs as they are the cheapest way to buy 2x4's.wood storage.jpg
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

About $30 worth of BB ply

I thought this one from FamilyHandyman was neat.

lumber.jpg

I used this from Lee Valley. Very heavy duty and easily adjustable.

Lumber Storage System

The Wood Whisperer has a great video and plans for a lumber rack and scrap storage.

Paul,
    See my post from today "massive lumber storage rack".

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I used this from Lee Valley. Very heavy duty and easily adjustable.

Lumber Storage System

Yep.. I've got the same stuff as Joe...dunno where i got mine, but LV is as good a bet as any.

In their original incarnation, they were 50" or so tall x 14' long, on a cinderblock wall above my CMS.

IN this house, I had to cut down the standards, and they are maybe 36" tall x 12' long, under the CMS infeed table.

Yer not gonna break these things.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I use pretty much any method, nook and cranny available for storage but did build a horizontal storage rack using the heavy duty galv shelving parts available from most any hardware/woodworking/tool stores. I"ll be swapping out the brackets with the angle supports with heavy duty double brackets which will give more storage space. I then built the fine WW mobile sheet goods rack mine being 5' long as my shop isn't big enough for anything else and I pretty much can't manage anything larger than 4'x4' anyway works great and allows to move around inside and outside the shop. My ceiling height limits my longest vertical boards to less than 8' so horizontal storage is mostly for 8' and longer. Biggest issue is not wanting to get rid of any wood and so I need more space and or give in and only keep on hand what I need for a given set of projects.

Galv_Shelving -Wood_Storage.jpgrolling sheet rack.jpg

I simply went to the local scrap yard and purchased some 3" channel and scrap 2" pipe. Welded alternate 2' long and 1' long pipe to the channel at about 1' spacing and at about a 5 degree slant from horizontal.
    Each vertical channel /arm assembly has a foot welded to the bottom and is lagged to the wall in three places.
    I have stored tons of lumber and steel off cuts with no problem. My rack is about 12' high and is 15' long with 5 channel/arm assembly's spaced a tad less than 4' on center. 16" stock is fully supported.
    I made a copy of this for a friend who put 3/4" plywood on some of the arms with U bolts and uses the space for bulk storage
    John Bunday

Here is what I'm trying. One done one to go. 3/4 ply.Rack 1.jpgRack 2.jpgRack 3.jpg
    They will be about 48" on center when done 77" tall.
    I'm thinking about somthing like this for drying stained parts on also. Thinner ply though.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Blog Entries
    Good thread to resurrect. I have been reorganizing my shop and needed to get all the scraps off the floor that were just leaning against the wall. I like the concept of vertical board storage, probably more wood per square foot of floor space taken up. But for me I need to keep storage above the top of my TS in my narrow shop, so horizontal was going to work for me. I went with the Triton steel rack system, bolted directly to the poured concrete wall with redhead style sleeve bolts. Today I added a 12" deep plywood scrap storage rack that hangs from the joists. Amazing how well it took all of my small scraps of ply and solid wood, even some scraps of OSB and PB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few pics of what I came up with. Very simple, effective method. Came out of an older issue of Wood magazine.
    153-copy.jpg 154-copy.jpg
    My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......