Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraving on Guitars

Laser Engraving on Guitars

A customer wants me to engrave the body of his guitar, but he is concerned that the engraving may effect the sound quality of the guitar. Does anyone know?
    -Pete B
    ULS PS-50; Epilog 32 (30 watt); Epilog Radus (100 watt); Epilog Legend 24TT (30 watt).

Blog Entries
    Well, there will be an effect on sound... whether or not your client can hear it is up for grabs.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You may want to see if it's a custom or "off the rack" guitar. If it's a custom, the sound board will have been shaved in different places based on desired tonal qualities. Mine is as thin as 2mm in places. Off the racks are normally a uniform thickness. If they want it engraved on another spot...the point is moot.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I spoke with the owner of a local music store and he advised I look at engraving the clear coat on the top of the guitar so I don't mess with the wood tension. If you guys have advice and places for me to learn more about this, because I've gotten two requests.

I have engraved (and cut) wood parts for a guitar maker, including inlay, but the difference is he adjusts the sound quality after. If you engrave only into the finish it will be barely visible. I wouldn't touch it, too much risk for liability if something goes wrong. If he's willing to sign a waiver and perhaps supply an old one to practice on to get the settings right, maybe.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

This is a guitar I engraved with supplied image. He said there was no sound change after.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by James Rambo View Post
    This is a guitar I engraved with supplied image. He said there was no sound change after.
    I wouldn't expect any change on a solid-body electric, but would be more concerned with a hollow.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Is it an acoustic? Where does he want it engraved? Are we talking about just a little burning or going deeply? A guitar top is nominally just about .100" thick (depends on a lot of things, but that's not far off). If you remove .010", you've removed 10%. That's why we worry about finish so much on acoustics...it can get significant.

On a solid body? Unless you go crazy, you probably won't change a darn thing. Give more details what you're trying to do.

If it's an acoustic I'd advice against lasering the top.

What you will find is that the spruce will have radi and the softer wood in between the radi will burn at different depth than the radi ( deeper because the radi are denser ). When we first started making guitars we were cutting/inlaying our rosette's with laser..... we did figure out how to do it but it was very difficult to be consistant between various materials. We since have changed the process and no longer use the laser......

You'd have better success on the back or side and probably be less of a problem with sound change.

Blessings,

Kevin Waldron

Waldron Instruments, Inc.
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 04-07-2013 at 1:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. Waldron View Post
    If it's an acoustic I'd advice against lasering the top.

What you will find is that the spruce will have radi and the software wood in between will burn at different depth than the radi. When we first started making guitars we were cutting/inlaying our rosette's with laser..... we did figure out how to do it but it was very difficult to be consistant between various materials. We since have changed the process and no longer use the laser......

You'd have better success on the back or side and probably be less of a problem with sound change.

Blessings,

Kevin Waldron

Waldron Instruments, Inc.
    I just brought a CNC into the shop. It's amazing just how difficult it is to get the CNC to spit out guitar parts that are usable. Yeah, everyone knows that wood moves when you cut it, but when you build by hand you naturally have a sequence of steps that continually flattens things out as you go along. Duplicating that on CNC is really an art form. As you also mentioned, acoustics "flat" tops are not flat....they are radiused, and if the guitar is more than a few years old you can even throw that out the door. It will be a funny shape as it settles in and deforms under string tension. That's something I didn't even consider.

Engraving on an acoustic top via CNC (or other engraver) can be a seriously complex problem.

I would engrave on the neck or the pick guard.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I engraved on my own acoustic guitar. I engraved a large picture on the back and just barely burned through the finish. It was intended to be displayed in my store but in actual use the engraving got very dirty. I didn't refinish it because I thought that may cause the picture to disappear.

I am just throwing this out there for another thing for you to think about. Once you do the engraving are you or the customer going to refinish the guitar somehow or leave the engraving exposed to get dirty.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

13. Wow. Great insights! I appreciate it. I will find some full bodies to do test work on, but based on what I am seeing I will only work on the pick guards, necks, and headstock for acoustics. In answer to the questions of what I am looking to do. I was not quite sure, but have seen engraved guitars and guitar parts so I was looking into it as an additional opportunity. Thankfully there is still a lot of opportunity without accepting working on the acoustic bodies. I am looking at doing some color filling as well, but baby steps.... Thanks so much for the pointers!
    Be Right, Be Kind, Be Fearless

Here's a pick guard for a Stratocaster-(don't be fooled into thinking I know what I'm talking about) my customer advised me what it was.

He brought this in as solidly filled art and had his own idea on how to engrave it which I refused to do and instead suggested he simulate a scrimshaw look. He took the drawing home to show his son and he instantly said do it. Alice is the name his son gave to the guitar.

I got a pretty good buck for this and I'm not looking for more. Customer's basic design with my modifications. Took a fair amount of time to position.

As you can see I've mastered the art of "fuzzy fotografy".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-08-2013 at 7:01 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Kevin Waldron who has replied to this thread is a Friend of the Creek and in the business of musical instruments. I'm sure he'd be glad to offer advice and maybe supplies as well. http://www.waldronmusic.com/
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7