Thread: HVLP guns

HVLP guns

another HVLP question.
    i do mostly oil wipe on finishes but i'm taking commissions now and will be building guitars soon so i need to get a sprayer.
    I was looking at the turbine sprayers but don't think i can swing it at the moment.
    if i have about 300 to spend, should i get a gun for a turbine sprayer and use it with my compressor until i can get the turbine?
    and what gun would you recommend?

Methinks you can't use a compressor with a gun designed for use with a turbine.

Blog Entries
    I have always been under the impression that the reason you would get a turbine setup, was if you didn't have access to a compressor. If you did, you would get an HVLP gun designed for use with a compressor.
    When I was shopping for a gun, I ended up talking with Jeff Jewitt over at homestead finishing. He asked me a few questions and made a recommendation for the right gun for me. You can't go wrong with his advise, and it could save you lots of time. Just go with what he recommends and be done with it.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I have always been under the impression that the reason you would get a turbine setup, was if you didn't have access to a compressor. If you did, you would get an HVLP gun designed for use with a compressor.
    When I was shopping for a gun, I ended up talking with Jeff Jewitt over at homestead finishing. He asked me a few questions and made a recommendation for the right gun for me. You can't go wrong with his advise, and it could save you lots of time. Just go with what he recommends and be done with it.
    Turbines are also more portable, require no fiddling of knobs to get the right CFM and pressure, and less susceptible to contamination issues.

As for compressor with a turbine gun, there are some dual use guns. I believe Apollo used to make one.

All that said, unless you are spraying in people's houses, you are most likely better off with a compressor based gun.

Jeff recommends the QS-125WB http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...spray.htm#guns
    a 125 cc cup is pretty small so i may have to add the 400cc
    what else do i need to get set up. my regulator is shot and doesn't have water filter so i need one....i don't want to spend much more money though...would you recommend the Qualspray economy filter here? or can i find something better quality at online auction for similar price? http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...es.htm#filters

Actually the 3M 10 series guns work with a turbine or a compressor using the regulator supplied with some kits from what I've been reading.

the differences in the two available qualspray QS-125WB kits are the 1.0 and the 0.8 nozzles. what do i need to consider to make a choice between those?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maldoror View Post
    the differences in the two available qualspray QS-125WB kits are the 1.0 and the 0.8 nozzles. what do i need to consider to make a choice between those?
    The viscosity of what you want to spray. I don't know if Jeff publishes the specs on viscosity vs nozzle+needle size in the manual, if not, ask him.