Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power requirements for the HF 2HP Dust Collector(#97869)?

Power requirements for the HF 2HP Dust Collector(#97869)?

I've seen many good remarks here on SMC regarding this machine, strongly considering the purchase.

I've been looking at the manual on the HF site, and some thing isn't adding up - that - or I am missing something....

The manual states:

120 Volts, 60 Hz, 2HP, Single Phase, 20 AMPS Peak

This suggests that a 20A circut has the potential of being pushed to it's limits, and that a 30A circut is really required (or convert the unit to 220v). Yet elsewhere in the manual, it talks about using a minimum of a 16ga extenstion cord.

So can someone tell me how the unit comes wired, give me the specs off the motor plate, etc?

Many thanks

Jim

First, this unit cannot be wired for 240V. I have the same unit and wired it to a dedicated 20A breaker with 12 ga wire. No problems at all.

Hope this helps.

I agree... same unit I have and I also have a dedicated 20amp circuit. Never had it pop the breaker. I did have my kill-a-watt unit hooked up to measure kwh and it is rated for 15 amps. That will make the unit beep quick at startup.

I have mine on a dedicated line at 20A with 12-2 Romex and never had a problem. I think HF is a little off on the 2HP thing but it works well for me whatever it is. 15A/14-2 would be pushing it as it pulls hard on start up with a gate open. YMMV

How many of you fellas with the HF unit in question, have it hooked up to a fixed-duct system? And if so, duct size, maximum lengths, etc?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    How many of you fellas with the HF unit in question, have it hooked up to a fixed-duct system? And if so, duct size, maximum lengths, etc?
    I have mine running through 4" pipe with a Thien separator. My maximum lengths are probably 25-30'. I probably could use more CFM, but it is what I went with because I have a small area in my garage. Paired with a Thien is dust very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sherman View Post
    I have mine running through 4" pipe with a Thien separator. My maximum lengths are probably 25-30'. I probably could use more CFM, but it is what I went with because I have a small area in my garage. Paired with a Thien is dust very good.
    Thom,

I have nearly the same setup as Matthew. My longest run, however is about 20'. And I will repeat - Thein baffle (w/ Wynn filter added) that works great and could also use more cfm. I may actually build a pre-seperator.

I will probably upgrade to a cyclone in the (distant) future - $ - but am plenty happy for now. You cannot beat the set up for ~ $300 (including filter).

Cyrus and Matthew, are the lengths of your ductwork measured, or adjusted SP losses due to elbows and hoses?

Jim,
    if you are going to spring for the 2 hp unit, consider sooner than later. Check the latest issue of Wood Magazine. There is a coupon there for $149 which is about as low as I've seen that unit.

With a Wynn filter and 5" duct and a Thein baffle, mine will pull around 12 - 13 amps when the filter is clean...put it on a 20a circuit and you will be all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Cyrus and Matthew, are the lengths of your ductwork measured, or adjusted SP losses due to elbows and hoses?
    I didn't really get that technical when designing mine. I just laid out the lines using the places they could potentially go and then trying to make the shortest runs. I attached some pictures.

DSC_0325.jpgDSC_0326.jpgDSC_0327.jpg
    Last edited by Matthew Sherman; 01-25-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Thom,

My length is measured.

Blog Entries
    If those "2 HP" HF units work well on a 120 volt 20 amp circuit, well, then they aren't 2 hp dust collectors IMHO. Maybe 1.5 hp might be a better approximation of their power. But then I have a "3.5 HP" shop vac that only draws 10 amps on 120 volts.

Yeah, Ole. I'm figuring the HF unit to produce real-life power in the 1 1/2-HP range. There is no motor plate--apparently the Chinese don't want anyone really knowing what that motor is--but there is a decal on the filter ring that claims it draws 14 amps.

Cyrus and Matthew, thanks for the info. Matt, if you're happy with the performance you get through all that spaghetti, I think I'll stop worrying about static pressure losses and FPMs and avoiding fittings and just install the thing so I can . . . GET BACK TO MAKING SAWDUST!

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by Thom Porterfield; 01-26-2012 at 2:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have that unit pulling through a thien baffle and exhausting directly outside. I piped with 4" PVC throughout the shop, longest run probably about 35 feet if you count the 45 degree bends etc. It really helps keep the shop so much cleaner, but I still need to sweep after lots of work. I wear a 3M respirator while working too because I'm aware that I don't have sufficient power to capture the fine dust, just the chips and mess. Once in awhile, I use a leaf blower to give the entire shop a good clean out.

The biggest loss I have right now in my system is how I have my connection to the thien baffle separator. Since I exhaust outside, I plan to take the baffle out of the equation completely and just allow everything to run past the impeller and dump into a bin in a closet outside my shop. That little closet will have some vents covered with furnace filters to keep from causing a mess outside the contained area, and the rest will just be a gravity bin that I can empty or burn. This should be a big win for the suction of the system.

edit: Oh, and to answer your actual question, I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit running this just fine.
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 01-26-2012 at 8:42 AM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)