Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Uvex Bionic faceshield saved me a trip to the emergency room today!

My Uvex Bionic faceshield saved me a trip to the emergency room today!

I was turning a box out of white oak this afternoon.........got a catch and the heavy piece of oak flew out of the chuck and hit me right in the face...........a very hard lick!! The Uvex shield deflected the blow and saved me from losing teeth and having need of stitches.............the only thing hurt was my ego.......I'll get over that!

This was a hard hit to the face area..............ladies and gentlemen.........please for safety sake, wear your face protection! Even experienced turners can have something happen in the blink of an eye............

There is no telling if I would be hospitalized this evening if I had not had my safety equipment on.......this one really gave me pause.....I am so thankful also ........be safe everyone!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-25-2012 at 5:35 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Good for you Rog! I have made a habit of wearing a face shield when turning. Some may call us a wuss, but so be it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Good thing you were wearing a face shield! I recently upgraded from a cheapo faceshield to the Bionic. Nice upgrade.
    I also rough with my cage down..... Don't want to depend on the faceshield......

Glad you are okay, Roger. Thanks for the safety reminder.

Great to hear you came through unscathed. I bought the Uvex last year based on comments from this forum and wear it faithfully.

Glad to hear you're ok, Roger. Now the majic question... What was your RPM??????? Jerry (in Tucson)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Marcantel View Post
    Glad to hear you're ok, Roger. Now the majic question... What was your RPM??????? Jerry (in Tucson)
    Jerry at that moment I had it at about 1250 rpm............it really gave me a whack!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Glad to hear you are OK. I got a Bionic face shield in St. Paul. I wear it more than I wore my old one. I really need to wear it all the time. Gotta keep trying.

Good deal Roger. I got a Bionic shield while at the SWAT symposium in Waco and had begun brainwashing myself into wearing the darn thing. It's really non-obtrusive once you get it on. I wear it while roughing out but if the wood has no voids I don't keep it on (old habits and managed risk!).

Now if I could just get back to turning.... Darn hand is slow to 100% recovery.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Roger, glad to hear you're ok. Don't like to see the term "caution graphic pictures" as a title.

Roger,
    Thank goodness you took precautions and are OK. Stay well and safe,

Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I wear my Uvex all the time. It's actually very comfortable after you get use to it. I have a filter system and fan on mine because of my lung trouble but I think I would wear it anyway just for protection.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Glad you were wearing the shield Roger. I've been using my face shield like Scott does, I really need to put more effort into "keeping it on". Thank God you're OK!

I just got my Bionic yesterday !!!! I certainly will wear it, just wearing standard eye protection didnt seem enough.

Glad there was no need to involve the EMTs. I wear my bionic at all times now. Good reminder.