Thread: Jaminson Deep Hollowing Rig

Jaminson Deep Hollowing Rig

I just bought a used ONEWAY 1640 lathe that came with the Jaiminson Deep Hollowing Rig.
    How much room will I need behind the headstock and the wall. What is the opinion on this system?
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

I have a Jamieson and it works well.

Each of the major hollowing systems have their own pros and cons.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm not at my shop but I would estimate needing 16" max.

Just as important as space behind the lathe, is the space needed away from a side wall. If I was to measure the way mine is set up I would guess that the bed of the lathe needs to be apx. 3' away from the side wall.

John

Not familar with the lathe but the hollowing system is excellent. I've tried several, including Elbow, Monster, some homemade ones and I like it better than any others. It's simple, smooth and goes deep. The video that comes with it is crucial since most of the problems with hollowing usually come from not having the system, on any one of them, set up right.

Blog Entries
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Oneway. It would be a consideration for me but I need a sliding head stock. I'm curious to hear how you like th hollowing system. Please give us a review of both. Thanks.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I would leave enough room to clean between the lathe and the wall which should be more room than you need for the hollowing system. I dont have enough room, but that might change soon if I move my tablesaw.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Kevin,
    Can't help you with the Jameson, but I do own and love a 1640. It is a great lathe and has done any thing that I have asked it to do without a problem now for several years. If you don't have it I do recommend the out board bed to turn bowls from. For this reason I have the headstock end angled out from the wall enough to work from the back side of this end when doing bowls. This makes it into a 24" short bed lathe with a 24" swing.
    Jack