Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Uvex Bionic faceshield saved me a trip to the emergency room today!

Smile

glad you came out unscathed Roger

i guess i am not as adventurous as most of you guys , because i rarely get much over 500-600 RPMs on anything much bigger than pens

might take me a little longer to do a bowl but i don't have to dodge shrapnel either then again its a pretty rare occurrence when something comes off the lathe large heavy objects turning at high speed bring out the cautious in me for some odd reason

Quote Originally Posted by Don Alexander View Post
    i guess i am not as adventurous as most of you guys , because i rarely get much over 500-600 RPMs on anything much bigger than pens
    Don't count on that saving you. I was doing an oak spindle (of sorts) ~4 weeks back and there was an invisible split inside it. I was only at 600rpm, it was only about 2" around (at the widest point), I was taking a very light cut, it was already nice and round, and I was just refining the width on a straight cut.. easy peasy. However even with that all which about as straightforward as it gets, a nice big hunk popped out and bounced off of my face shield. I actually had the guard down as well, but was turning out just past it on the right.. so no help from that. I still haven't found the broken off piece, I think it ended up in the rafters somewhere 8' overhead.... I believe that part of why it split off was the shape - roughly ==[]===[]==[]== but the wood was definitely flawed there internally (looking at how it split off) and wasn't visible at all from the rough blank.. Its unpredictable and can happen at any time. This wasn't a hard enough of a hit that I believe I would have been in serious danger, but probably would have had a couple of stitches or at least a good butterfly bandage.... unless it caught an eye or knocked out a tooth.

Not worth the risk imho, I'm glad you guys bring this sort of thing up, totally worth the reminder. If you can save one person or "even just" prevent a few unnecessary hospital visits

I had a boxelder bowl blow out on my cole jaws. It hit my bionic with the sharp edge from the crack that it put a small cut in the plastic. It was a solid bowl, and I was removing the foot. Glad you are OK.

Happy to find that you are okay Roger and that you had your protection in place. I have the Bionic shield but I rarely use it any more. I use the Trend during all phases of turning. Roughing, finishing, and sanding.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Happy to find that you are okay Roger and that you had your protection in place. I have the Bionic shield but I rarely use it any more. I use the Trend during all phases of turning. Roughing, finishing, and sanding.
    If I have a really dry dusty wood I wear the trend for all the turning.........mostly I put it on for sanding, and I do like it a lot....it has really cut down on the sinus infections I used to get........haven't had one since using the trend airshield pro.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Glad you are OK! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Roger - glad you are OK. The face shield is a must - safety in roughing and even a simple face shield really does a nice job of deflecting the fine shavings and dust from finish turning away from your nose and mouth. Having been nailed in the mouth a year ago by a 2x2x4" hunk of cherry kicking back from a table saw (18 stitches) I am particularly careful about standing in the "line of fire" on all power tools, my lathe included. A lot of us develop the habit of really getting into our turning and forget to visualize the trajectory of a flying piece. Developing a turning posture that keeps us out of the line of fire is very important for shop safety also.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Thanks for starting a Safety Revival.

Roger, I had a similar experience a few years ago with a large white oak bowl, I had my shield on but it hit my shoulder and then hit the ceiling and put a hole in the drywall. I am glad that you are ok, and thanks for the reminder.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    - if I sense an unstable piece of wood, I use mine, but not always.
    John,

My guess is that very few people ever got hurt by a piece that the 'sensed' was unstable. It's those stable pieces that shatter unexpectedly.

My father used to point out that no one was ever accidentally shot with a loaded gun. The gun was unloaded and miraculously fired <s>
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Glad to hear your OK Roger!!!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

well, I gotta say, I wore my brand spankin new Bionic tonight for the first time and its very comfortable and a million times clearer (no fogging) that i used to get with my safety glasses .... its a world of difference... I barely even realized it was on, i certainly hope i never need it, but certainly will wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    well, I gotta say, I wore my brand spankin new Bionic tonight for the first time and its very comfortable and a million times clearer (no fogging) that i used to get with my safety glasses .... its a world of difference... I barely even realized it was on, i certainly hope i never need it, but certainly will wear it.
    Good man, Lee! You only get one set of eyes! Wear it in health!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post

I have the older style of Trend and I wondered about the safety ability of the shield on that. Is that rated for high impact??

Anybody have the link to this face shield being talked about here???
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I have the older style of Trend and I wondered about the safety ability of the shield on that. Is that rated for high impact??

Anybody have the link to this face shield being talked about here???
    Try this link John........

http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Protec...7638858&sr=8-1