Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corner Cabinet Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    You also need to rotate the material 90°. At least on some of the parts. That would help the appearance.
    Using SU 8 (non pro) I find that I can edit the materials - the wood "floor" samples. By selecting a given material then by right clicking I get an edit option. This shows the material below with its given dimensions. I change these dimension to make a board - say 12" wide x 60" long (or just the opposite, as the case requires) and then I can apply it to my model with the grain going in the appropriate direction. This edited material is added to the collection and does not eliminate the original. You can see in my drawing above that the upper door panels have vertical grain and that on the lower door panel the grain is horizontal. That was deliberate . I love my SU!

Oh, and Pat, The arched doors do help justify the arched bottom rail but I would try having the bottom rail curve terminate at each corner into a flat of at least 1" and ease up on the radius. See if you like that look. Also the cabinet top still needs more distinction IMHO. As drawn it looks as if you truly just stacked a couple of cabinets. Please know that I only suggest because you asked. Far be it from me to be your (or anyone else's) design police. But, I'm obviously an opinionated little fellow and when asked . That is the fun of this forum. I will open myself up to the same (abuse?) some day.

All the best. Sam
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-27-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Sam, changing the dimensions of the image--12 x 60 or 60 x 12--doesn't change the direction of the wood grain. It does distort the grain a bit.

To rotate the material, though, you would right click on the face after you've applied the material, choose Texture>Position. right click on the face again and choose Rotate>90°. If you've applied the material to a group or component instead of to faces, you won't get the Texture entry in the Context menu. If you rotate the texture this way, you can get away with a single version of the material in the model. Some people like to make vertical and horizontal versions of their wood grain materials. This to me seems wasteful and unnecessary.

You might find some ideas HERE.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-27-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Sam, changing the dimensions of the image--12 x 60 or 60 x 12--doesn't change the direction of the wood grain. It does distort the grain a bit.

To rotate the material, though, you would right click on the face after you've applied the material, choose Texture>Position. right click on the face again and choose Rotate>90°. If you've applied the material to a group or component instead of to faces, you won't get the Texture entry in the Context menu. If you rotate the texture this way, you can get away with a single version of the material in the model. Some people like to make vertical and horizontal versions of their wood grain materials. This to me seems wasteful and unnecessary.

You might find some ideas here.
    That's how I changed my wood grain direction . OK, don't quote me - I am still a Sketch Up beginner - I will do this experiment again tonight to confirm. However I know that I did not do other than redimension my materials and that I have several material samples of the same color that when applied to my model result in different grain orientations. I think the important requirement is that you change the WIDTH and HEIGHT not just change the dimensions.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.

The texture is simply an image file. changing the dimensions (width and height) only results in stretching it. It does not rotate it.

Here's an example. These all use the same material image.

Width set to 8" and length to 30"

Width set to 30" and length to 8"

The grain has not been rotated. It's stretched left to right and compressed top to bottom.

The image was intended to be displayed as 10" by 10". Here it is as it would come in naturally.

After right clicking on the face, choosing Texture>Position and then right clicking again to choose Rotate.

And after selecting Rotate>90°. Image is actually rotated.

As you can see, it is distinctly different than just changing the width and height dimensions.

Dave - not to be argumentative - I will be using your system from now on - but I didn't know how to do that and so I figured out the work around with redimensioning the material as I described in my 9:30 AM post. I just tried it again because you had me wondering. The attached drawing is the result. There is some distortion as you say (so I prefer your method) but it does work. I have a vertical and a horizontal grain direction.
    Screen shot 2012-01-27 at 12.48.19 PM.jpg

Sam, with that texture it does give the impression of the grain running vertically but then it isn't really a wood grain image in the first place. Using the method I describe, you won't ever need two different versions of a wood grain texture. One will do the job just fine.

Sam, with that texture it does give the impression of the grain running vertically but then it isn't really a wood grain image in the first place. Using the method I describe, you won't ever need two different versions of a wood grain texture. One will do the job just fine.
    Yes, I agree, and now that I have a better option I will use it. Sorry to have taken up so much of Pat's thread.