Thread: Source for wood strips

Source for wood strips

I am looking for a source of cove/bead strips used in strip canoe building. Looking for 3/16" thickness if possible. It's not being used for a canoe/boat. Didn't want to buy the router bits and mill myself. Just might have too but I remember a canoe company selling just stock wood (not kits).

While 3/16" is not typical for strip building, you might try Noahs or NewFound Canoes for supplies. 1/4" is the standard and sometimes 3/8" is used on Canoe Yawls. This is what I used and may still have them if you wanted to borrow them.

Good luck,
    Mac

Thanks Mac. looked at Noahs... Newfound doesn't list strips.. knew 1/4" was standard. Somewhere in my boat building reading I read 3/16" strip for a light canoe or something. May just have to buy a cove/bead set for the router table.

I'd give Newfound a call regardless as I think they will work with you on anything you want. Good people to deal with and their product is excellent.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Elliott View Post
    Thanks Mac. looked at Noahs... Newfound doesn't list strips.. knew 1/4" was standard. Somewhere in my boat building reading I read 3/16" strip for a light canoe or something. May just have to buy a cove/bead set for the router table.

You might want give Anchor Hardwoods a call http://anchorhardwoods.com/woodworki...-applications/
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Gary, I sent them an email as well as Newfound. Anchor is only about 5hrs away so shipping may not be too bad and time wise.

7. Peter

Another option is North West Canoes

http://www.shop.northwestcanoe.com/C...m?productId=12

Regards

I always make my own. I never heard of anyone selling them unless it was a complete kit. It really doesn't take a lot to make them. I learned from my BIL that only had a little Porter Cable router table and a small Craftsman tablesaw. He built some of the most beautiful strip canoes and kayaks I've ever seen!

While there's certainly companies out there who can supply strips, Chris is correct, it really doesn't take a lot to make a set up to do strips. With a table saw equipped with splitter, you can run 50 strips in no time with one person pushing and one pulling. Run them through the planer to gain desired thickness and finish. Set up a router board equipped with a fence, two routers and a feather board. Take some time to do the set-up and you can cove and bead at same time, giving you ready to build strips of whatever wood you plan on using.
    Mac

Strip Milliing Setup

Mac is right milling strips is easy. I use a 7 1/4" diablo blade in the tablesaw with zero clearance insert and the featherboard and guard setup shown below. I don't find it nessecary to run thru planer, I get consistant enough strips by using featherboards. I start with 2x6x16 WRC lumber as knot free as I can find, then rip/resaw to 1x3x16 before running thru this setup. I use 5/16" radius bead and cove bits from MLCS for 1/4" strips, I find they are easier to glue together in tight curve areas of the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

OK. I admit it... I was being lazy. sometimes it's better to just buy the stock made up, compared to milling it myself (labor thing)

Gary, what kind of life are you getting out of the bits?

Are you ripping 1/4"? you say 1"x3"x

Milling western red cedar (easy on bits) I have run approx 200 16' strips or about 3200 lin. feet without any signs of dulling. I don't know how they will last on hardwood.

Yes I am ripping 1/4" off of 1"x's 16' long. That's why the homemade fence/guard/dust hood. I takes me about 2 days to mill strips for a kayak including setup and fine tuning time. If you do them yourself, run the beads first because the coves are fragile. One Ocean Kayaks has a good workshops page that has lots of tips for milling strips.
    Gary