Thread: 1st lidded bowl

1st lidded bowl

​Seeing all these wonderful bowls and forms on this site inspired me to try my hand at trying some. I think i have a long way to go. The wood in the pic`s are Beech Sapele and Pink Ivory. 6" dia x 2 3/4" tall without finial. 1 coat of tung oil so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Civitella View Post
    ​Seeing all these wonderful bowls and forms on this site inspired me to try my hand at trying some. I think i have a long way to go.
    Well..maybe this will be a comforting thought. Even if you feel like you have a lot to learn, you are progressing. You are at least on the second step of the journey..something you can photograph

I'm still on step 1. I still shatter most everything i turn on the lathe

I have that same nervousness about the forms/shapes i turn, but i'm steathily reading all these posts to learn from the more advanced folks, like yourself, and those that are about to chime in.

Cheers!
    Don

Makes a great novelty box. At first glance I thought it was a spinner top. Great execution.

"The best things in life are not things."

Thanks for sharing, Carl! It has a very whimsical quality which is nice!

Bet it won't be your last Carl! I have made a few and they are fun to do.

6. You have a great start there Carl..........keep, sign and date your first one..........you will look back on it every so often and see how much you have progressed. Thanks for sharing with us..........keep up the good work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

​Thanks for the complements. I should have started out with a thicker top, but i did not want to waste any wood, Top was a piece of beech i had laying around. I am going to make a few more of this type, then i am going to try 2 piece HF`s to see how it works out. I have enough tools in my arsenal to try and make those with out spending several more dollars for new tools. Thanks. Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Civitella View Post
    ​I should have started out with a thicker top, but i did not want to waste any wood ...
    Carl, I like the concept of this piece, and it has great potential. However, I would offer this suggestion - the overlap of the top obscures the true size relationship of the top and bottom. Typically, one would make the bottom closer to twice the height of the top. In the one you have, that may be the case, but the top appears to be much "heavier" and more massive than does the bottom. Having it a lighter tone increases that perception. With this combo, and the appearance of a large overlap, I would consider making the bottom larger.

Just a thought for you to consider.

On the two piece HF, I think you will enjoy doing those. I call them clamshell turnings, and I have done a few of them. Lots of fun, and lots of possibilities!!

Looks "Tops" to me. Keep them coming.