Thread: Moxon vise screw

Moxon vise screw

Based on a great article in Shopnotes detailing the construction of an etau, a historical vise from France, I made screws for my Moxon vise using acme threaded rod from McMaster-Carr and shop made hexagonal handles. The cost was $32 and some scrap pieces of red oak.

Construction details on my blog if you are interested. I highly recommend the magazine article. They claim it's their best bench accessory ever and, even though I just used a concept they showed for my Moxon vise, I found it very interesting. I may make an etau some day.

Andy Margeson
    oregonwoodworker.blogspot.com

Wow, those look great! That was exactly what I was thinking of making, since my wooden screws didn't turn out so well.
    CT

Blog Entries
    The Veritas Tail vise 1 1/8" x 21" screw with two threaded metal flanges, a place to insert a wooden handle & screws sized for flanges costs $36.50. Veneer Press screws, with flanges and a handle are $21.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-25-2012 at 3:57 PM.

I did the same calculus and sprung the extra few dollars for the Benchcrafted kit with cast iron "wheels".

I suspect the acme threaded rod and nuts came from your source.
    Will you use something to fix the nut into the rear chop?

I know. They are a tremendous value, but they are big and heavy. I thought about buying them and cutting them off. In the end, I like the wooden handles as I have a tendency to find metal with my saws and I paid half as much. Nevertheless, I think the LV screws are a really good option.
    Andy Margeson

Anyone tried some sort of cam clamp? Seems like it'd slow down adjusting the thing in and out, but if you're working with a lot of drawer stock the same thickness doing dovetails, it'd make popping each piece in and out quicker. Maybe.

I picked up 2 of these (for a twin screw non-moxon), $20 each when I bought them and marked down now. They work well and have had no problems with them yet. Definitely big and heavy though, and I still want the benchcrafted ones.

The finished vise:

Andy Margeson