Thread: De-barking and polishing a ficus branch

De-barking and polishing a ficus branch

A couple of years ago, while visiting another town, the local tree service was pruning ficus trees on the sidewalk. I managed to grab a nice chunk of one branch, about 10 cm in diameter and a bit short of 1 m long. It has been sitting on my shop since then.

Recently I promised my uncle to make a stand for his aikido uniform - think of a coat stand but with enough "arms" to support the waist and chest pieces, helmet, etc. Originally I wanted to make a simple and square upright post, but then I remembered about that ficus branch. If I could de-bark it and polish the result, it could lead to a nice, natural shape for the post itself.

Has anyone done this with reasonably dry wood? Probably every species is different in how hard the bark clings to the wood. I guess I'd need a drawknife. But then how does one polish the irregular branch? It's pretty straight, and just has bumps and crevices from a few branches / knots, and I'd like to preserve those if possible. I guess sandpaper and some concave scrapers?

Thanks for any advice!

flap wheel of sandpaper after you get the bark off, that'd be my thought.

A large flap wheel (or set of grits, I guess), from coarse to fine. It won't affect the knots. If you want a finer finish, rig up something to burnish the surface after you're done sanding, or rub pine scrap against it.

Excellent ideas, David, thanks! And this is the perfect excuse to get a flap wheel - always wanted to play with one of those.