Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Setup....vertical drop to equipment in middle of workshop

DC Setup....vertical drop to equipment in middle of workshop

Hi Everyone

I'm re-working my DC set up and hate the fact that I have a 5" run of clear tube running accross the floor to my TS which is in the middle of my workshop. Equally as annoying is the power cord

Have you guys done vertical drops from the ceiling down to the TS with clear hose? If so, how did you space the drop in relation to the TS so that you avoid encountering the DC hose when making a cut? I'm thinking my drop should be on the right hand side positioned just beyond the capability of the rip fence...correct?

If you guys have pics that you can share of your setup that would be great

TIA

George

I can't post a picture but will try to describe it. My saw has long rails and I built a storage unit to go between them that finishes flush with the top of the rails. I brought the vertical down on the far end of the rails and ran it along the floor hard up against the base.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I had to drop down to the table saw. I put the clear hose down to the back left corner of the TS and have a smaller hose coming to my blade guard. I did not like having to do it but it is not so bad. When I have a cut that the hose is in the way, I purchased some hose clamps that have a finger tightening method and quickly drop the hose off the gate valve. The gate valve is about 7' off the floor. I do the one cut and go back to using the DC on all other cuts.

I have a drop to the top side of the table saw that comes from the ceiling, and a run that runs along the floor to the back of the saw that also services the router table.

I can see where having the run across the floor might be a problem for some, but I make the best of it as it is in a lightly used space, so it really isn't in the way, and I am VERY aware that it is there.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

You mean something like this?
    7-4-11 013.jpg7-4-11 002.jpg

I had the same problem you have. To fix it I ran PVC pipe across the ceiling across the length of my shop and drop down to 4 pieces of equipment. I’m not using clear hose, but I drop down to my TS, planer and router table in the center of my shop. I have my planer and 4” PVC drop on the right hand side of my TS. On the left I have my router table which seconds as an extension for material drop from my saw. I have no trouble with my drop or planner interfering with my saw.

Thank you! Alan & Charlie....that is eaxctly what I have been considering doing. I have enough space to set up the new to be built router table on the backside of the TS which would double as an outfeed table. I was considering relocating my jointer to sit beside the TS & RT and all 3 would share the drop from the ceiling. I would create a 3 lead split off with blast gates to connect the 3 machines

George, you have it right in your question on how to do it. Here's mine:
    DSCN2590.jpgDSCN2591.jpgDSCN2712.jpg
    I can move the fence to it's farthest travel and have about 1/4" to the pipe. I'd use solid pipe instead of the flex for this though...flex can rob CFM because of the rough texture of the inside of the hose. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hi George,

Here's a shot of my setup. Nothing fancy, cord and dust collection come down in the same place. I don't use any above-table dust collection. That back-right corner seemed the least obtrusive place for the drop.

P1020626.20.jpg

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Hi George,

Here's a shot of my setup. Nothing fancy, cord and dust collection come down in the same place. I don't use any above-table dust collection. That back-right corner seemed the least obtrusive place for the drop.

P1020626.20.jpg

Mike
    Mike,

That looks like a really nice assembly table you have. Expensive, but nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    Mike,

I wanna' see him raise the blade enough to make that cut, though
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    Mike,

Haha, yes, the other table in the background is not exactly flat and my workbench is too narrow. And, I was too lazy to move the project before taking the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I wanna' see him raise the blade enough to make that cut, though
    My 24" blade is in the mail

Mike

Here are a few from years ago when I was setting up the shop 4 moves prior to my current location112-1251_IMG.jpg112-1244_IMG.jpg112-1248_IMG.jpg112-1249_IMG.jpg112-1254_IMG.jpg. Now I have a few tools in the garage but most of it is in long term storage. All the tools on the side were on rollers which is why there is all the soft tubing to roll the jointer, BS, planer, etc. out for use.
    Last edited by Kyle Stiefel; 01-25-2012 at 8:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Like a few others my vertical mast for my overarm is just past the farthest position of my fence. If something is longer than that I am going to cut it the opposite way anyway.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Kyle,

What fittings did you use to get those long smooth 90 degree elbows?

James