Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New look backsaw.

New look backsaw.

I recently purchased this backsaw which as you can see from the photo's is in need of some tender care. Its was manufactured by Slack & Sellers , at their Speeds Work Factory, Sheffield, England. (1988 - 1990.) Its fitted with a large saw plate measuring 14" long x 3 1/2 " deep; 10 tpi. Possibly a Sash Tenon Backsaw.

Its fair to say that the handle on this backsaw lacks any real shape & charm as would befit this wonderful sheffield saw maker who's history started back in the 1850s. Time for a bit of face lift.

In this photo I have flat sanded both faces of the handle, and penciled in where I will start working on the new shape.

And here is the assortment of hand tools I will be using for the handle reshaping.

As you can see in this photo, by removing a lot of the bulk from the top and bottom horns its allowed me to then focus further into reshaping the rest of the handle. The bottom rail is much slimmer and I have added in a lambs tongue. Near the top horn I have included a hounds tooth to the shaping. Of note is how I have avoided changing the original distance between the tips of both horns.

In this photo I have marked in the areas that require rounding off. I have purposely kept the top edge of the handle flat to give the handle shape a more crisp profile.

Looking good. The handle has now been rounded off and sanded down to 220 grit and its ready for the finish to be applied.

I know where this is going, I saw the pictures elsewhere. The result is excellent and a huge improvement over the stock saw handle.

Well done

And here is the completed handle after 2 coats of proofseal, 4 coats of garnet shellac, & 2 coats of wax.
    The saw plate has also been cleaned down and resharpened ready for work. I hope you enjoyed this posting.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I know where this is going, I saw the pictures elsewhere. The result is excellent and a huge improvement over the stock saw handle.

Well done
    Thanks David.

Blog Entries
    Stewie,
    Very nice work! Would you like a few more handles to work on? I just happen to have a few. Since I have been working a few myself I know there is a bunch of work in removing all that wood with those hand tools. Maybe I need to draw a few lines to work to instead of just grinding away.

Thanks Mike. It does take a bit of time and care with good reshaping. I am sure you would have the attributes it takes to do a similar job. All the best. Stewie.

Nice work, Stewie. Thanks for the inspiration. You've certainly given a plane-Jane some pizazz.

I already commented on the other forum (jossimbyr over there), but I wanted to reiterate what a fantastic job you did. Looks amazing.

Blog Entries
    That is an impressive improvement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I really like the look of that handle Stewie. I've got a couple that you may have just inspired me to do something similar too. Nice work!

Nice job Stewie. You have given me inspiration for a Lynx back saw I bought about 10 years ago and never liked. That handle looks like it would improve the saw greatly.
    Now if I only had the skill to do it.

Thanks Paul. Glad its inspired you.

Thanks Joshua.

Thanks Jim.