Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no soak waterstones and coarse stones

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    because I'm stupid.... seriously, I have a crazy fetish (not really the right word here...) to doing things by hand. I hate the fact that I can't grind by hand... I mean, I understand all the responses here but how hard can it be to grind down metal.... I'd prefer a stone simply because sandpaper prices add up.... and I don't have room currently for a huge piece of glass or granit
    Hope I didn't come across as rude, Matthew. Really just curious, I suppose. I'm not one to tell anyone how they should do something. I like to hear different people's sharpening perspectives, I guess.

I love my dry grinder, but that's just me. One of these days I want to get a 1x42 belt grinder - had access to one of those a long while ago, and I loved it.

Blog Entries
    not at all Josh, if you don't mind me calling you that, I'm serious, I know that a grinder would saw me a lot of pain, but I'd rather do it with a stone... I might end up changing my mind though ...
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 01-30-2012 at 6:49 PM.

Dave, My Bester 1K lives in the tub with everything else.

As to what it's like after being in the tub, I don't know. I haven't used it in about a year, since I bought the tub...

There is in there, IIRC, Sig 1K hard and soft, Sig 2K, King Deluxe, King Hyper, Norton, Bester, Arashiyama and something else in there. No harm done (visually) to any of them.

Stu.

I used to use Bestor stones(1000, 1200) around 25 years ago and just like everyone I knew and worked with at the time, soaked them continuously. It doesn't faze them in the least. They were very popular stones back then, because of their resistance to dishing. At the time, they were Makoto Imai's favorite stones(may still be).
    Last edited by Chris Vandiver; 01-30-2012 at 9:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Tierney View Post
    Dave, My Bester 1K lives in the tub with everything else.

As to what it's like after being in the tub, I don't know. I haven't used it in about a year, since I bought the tub...

There is in there, IIRC, Sig 1K hard and soft, Sig 2K, King Deluxe, King Hyper, Norton, Bester, Arashiyama and something else in there. No harm done (visually) to any of them.

Stu.
    Well, if none of them have turned into one big glom, maybe I'll throw a bunch of stones in a bucket and store them inside. SPII mind continuous water?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Well, if none of them have turned into one big glom, maybe I'll throw a bunch of stones in a bucket and store them inside. SPII mind continuous water?
    I don't, but it won't hurt them.

Aside from my lack of knowledge about if they survive freezing or not (the Sigma ceramic do), and possible fragility if dropped or hit with something, there's virtually no chemicals us common folk can acquire that will hurt them, being silicon carbide and all that.

The 6K has a known problem that some dye will leech from it if it's left in the water, but that's the only one I'm aware of, and it might be fixed now since I bought it up with SP a few months ago. But you don't got that one. If the 3K makes the water green, it's just colour and shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I'll be able to confirm in a few weeks from SP when I meet with the head fellow again.

Gotta go, lots to do and not much time.

Stu.

If all of the green comes out, and it turns white with purple polka dots and doesn't change the way it cuts, that's all good with me. Beats the pee out of my old tanba aoto at that grit level.

Into the water it goes with the bester. I'll have to see what else I can scare up - don't have much that soaks indefinitely.