Thread: New shop / Ideas sought

New shop / Ideas sought

Will be constructing a 16' wall mounted bench to accomodate the miter saw, problem is that I also would like to occasionally use this area for a RAS.
    Considering mounting both units on the bottom section of roll-away tool boxes so that either can be "plugged into" the cut out in the bench.
    I do have repeatability / accuracy concerns with this method
    If anyone has any pics of similar concepts, I would greatly appreciate seeing them for inspiration.

Extraneous detail: Began woodworking in late `08 and joined here, by `09 the wifely unit complained about noise and dust from my basement shop. Reverted to previous hobbies. Put the house up for sale. bought a new one, now that the house remodel is complete, I built a new UNATTACHED building just for w/w`ing. Looking forward to setting up a new shop and learning from the folks here.
    That assumes that you allow backsliders back into the fold.

There is always the NYWS Miter Saw station. Norm had his RAS permanately parked on the right end of it and a fence system with stop blocks. He also had provisions for storing and mounting his mortiser. If you wanted to be able to "plug and play" different modules for the RAS and Miter Saw, I'd be tempted to work out some kind of positive docking arrangement with clamps to lock it into place once you docked. Maybe even ramps for the casters to engage in that "funneled" them into a fitted channel as you pushed the module into place.

I wonder how practical it would be to create an XL version of the flip stands folks use to mount say a lunchbox Planer and an OSS on the same stand. Rotate the one you need up and lock the rotation.

Used to have an old ras, and miter saw, used the ras to rough cut lumber, and just needed more space. Decided to move the ras out, and got a sliding miter saw. It allows me to cut about 12 1/2", which is enough for a cut off saw. The slider is much more accurate than the ras, and my pieces come out square. When I need to cut a top bigger than one cut on the slider, just turn it over and line up the cut and finish it.

^ Thanks Jim, I`m leaning towards selling the RAS for all the excellent reasons you mention.

Can you put them side-by-side and line up the fences so they share the same extensions? The RAS is so versatile (dados, tenons, molding cutters), I'd hate to give it up, but I agree about accuracy.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

You mentioned the dust issues you previously had, what are you doing about that? I think dust extraction is a major part of the installation and should be considered possibly before anything else.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Can you put them side-by-side and line up the fences so they share the same extensions? The RAS is so versatile (dados, tenons, molding cutters), I'd hate to give it up, but I agree about accuracy.
    That is the method I plan to use for mine, I plan a long bench with a CSMS, RAS and two 10' non-sliders, one set up for framing lumber with a crappy blade and one set up as a metal cutoff saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    You mentioned the dust issues you previously had, what are you doing about that? I think dust extraction is a major part of the installation and should be considered possibly before anything else.
    Good advice. But now that the shop is in an unattached bldg, dust is less of a concern for me. Big problem when I was working out my basement.