Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anvil

Quote Originally Posted by harry hood View Post
    You got your wife an anvil for Mothers' day? I trust that since you're still here she didn't bludgeon you with it...she sounds like a keeper, congratulations.
    whom are the keeper , the anvil or the wife ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    whom are the keeper , the anvil or the wife ?
    Both of course.

Blog Entries
    Yes she is a keeper (for 25 years now). I did have visions of a Wile Coyote, trap but none has yet materialized.

Quote Originally Posted by harry hood View Post
    You got your wife an anvil for Mothers' day? I trust that since you're still here she didn't bludgeon you with it...she sounds like a keeper, congratulations.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

4. Hmm, do you think that little Lee Valley anvil attached firmly to a heavy wood base would work for small things? I know traditionally, swordmakers have done very fine work with stake anvils.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette Semilla View Post
    Hmm, do you think that little Lee Valley anvil attached firmly to a heavy wood base would work for small things? I know traditionally, swordmakers have done very fine work with stake anvils.
    Absolutely! I think for cold or hot sheet work it is pretty good. It can also be used indoors. DW is doing a series of folded copper pieces. It is really too small any hot iron work. I am thinking of alloying some Rogin for cabinet pulls or box findings. The small size allows close, detail work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Vulcans were REAL anvils,but not among the best anvils. I had a chipped Vulcan I just left at the toolmaker's shop I ran for many years in Williamsburg. I saw a NOS vulcan at a flea market. It had a 1/4" thick welded on top. Usually they are nearly 3/4" thick,and still chip anyway. Short of filling in your chips with hard facing welding rod,and re grinding,I don't know how to repair your anvil. Hard facing would probably be the best option,if you can get a good welder to do it.

NO hope for that anvil with broken edges,except for possibly getting a welder to build up the broken away areas with hard facing rods.I do not know if they can build hard face up that thick,though. Then,a bunch of grinding the edges back to square. Vulcan anvils were not the best. Hard to see how the top got that beat up unless it was not gotten hard enough when made. The anvil could have been in a fire and lost its hardness at some time in its history.

Thanks George
    It does work for what I do
    I might get the welder out on it...
    thanks!
    Carpe Lignum

Hi guys. I just joind Sawmill creek. I have been a woodworker all my adult life. But now i have decited to teach myself Blacksmithing. I plan to do the hole thing oldschool by this i mean . to build the shop i dont wont to use any modern power tool. i will hewn all the beem for then walls by hand . to nstart out the shop will be 8' X 10'. with a coal forge no power to the shop at all . I live in a small town and let it get around i was looking for a anvil. and thi guy showed at my plasce with two 85lbs anvils i gave $65.00 for them both i have the walls beams done next i,ll start to make the timber framed roof trussesDSC00621.jpgDSC00622.jpg

Steven W.
    I thought about doing some blacksmithing but I have so many other hobbies that I changed my mind. If I did try it I would use as many modern devises that would make the work easier for this old body. My Grandfather was a black smith but he passed away before I was born. I wish he was still around so I could have learned the craft from him. Good luck with your plans. There are several very helpful sites on the Internet that can help you out if you need information or ideas.
    David B

The railroad suggestion is invaluable. I'll just go outside and grab a section of rail and then cut it to length with my nuclear bazooka.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Didn't need a Nuclear Bazooka to build my anvil from RR track.

Just joined up a few days ago, and, looking around this place. Quite a mix of forums. I LIKE that.

Built mine with the Hardy hole, the pritchel hole, and the best shape I could get for the horn. Bought a collection of tools for the square hole, made a few, then moved down here, to CR. Now, my primary hand, the right side, gets swollen and throbs from hard work, so, I need to get my son, in Fl. to dig it all out and see if I can sell it.

Need a controller and lighting for my electric bicycle-motorcycle.

Harold in CR

Nice, but pretty darn expensive. I've bought a number of good old anvils with decent faces and corners for about $2 per pound...