Thread: Help with wiring a squirrel cage blower

Help with wiring a squirrel cage blower

Good afternoon all,
    I am building a slightly modified version of this air filter and I managed to get my hands on a two speed squirrel cage blower. The issue I have is... I simply do not understand how to wire it. I was hoping I could use a Off/High/Low attic fan switch but I understand that I may not be able to do that. Attached are some pics and any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IMAG0207.jpgIMAG0208.jpgIMAG0209.jpg
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons

Hi, it looks like a 4 speed fan, my guess is as follows, if the motor doesn't have any nameplate information.

White is neutral

red, black yellow and blue are the different speed windings.

You connect your incoming white wire (neutral) to the motor white wire

You connect your black incoming wire (Line) to the input terminal on your speed switch.

You connect one other fan wire to the other switch terminal, and another fan wire to the other switch terminal.

The un-used fan wires are not connected to anything, insulate them with a Marrete on each wire, don't connect them together.

Try out the different speeds, if you don't like a speed, try out one of the unused fan wires.

Make sure you don't overload the fan (very easy to do by having too much airflow/not enough restriction. You'll need to measure the current and compare it to the fan motor nameplate.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod,
    I will head out to the garage here in a bit and see if I can find the motor label
    Thank you,
    Scott Gibbons