Thread: I screwed up

I screwed up

I KNEW I shoulda listened.

But NOOOOOOO, I gotta try to save $100.

I looked at chucks yesterday and bought a Nova Midi.

Then I got it home.

Crud. The jaws don't align, yes they are matched 1-1, 2-2, etc.

The chuck itself runs flat smooth, no runout I can detect by feel either at speed or by hand.

The jaws, at least .040 out. They don't close right.

The grub screws to set tension don't thread into their holes in 2 out of 3 cases.

And the tommy bars are gonna be an obvious pain.

Back to Towson tomorrow.

But now I'm leaning to a Oneway given the fit of the jaws on the Nova product.

Is there any way that you would be able to replace the chuck you got with another of the same type, but be able to check it in the store? If both have problems you would probably be better with a better chuck. Maybe you just got a bad one though?

I wouldn't take another home to find out though
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Robert -

A Oneway Talon would be a good alternative. Your tale of the Nova is not the first one I've heard. Some are OK, some aren't.

Ted

I researched as much as I could and ended up with a vicmarc. Just got it last week. Spendy, but very smooth. I was told by Woodcrafters catalog on Provo Utah, that the vicmarc is built better and smoother then the oneway or nova. I have a 14 inch delta, not sure if vicmarc makes a chuck for a mini, but you might want to research it.

Robert don't fret, we all make mistakes if we are human, besides that as long as you learn from your mistakes, that is the main thing. Yes you should have bought the Oneway, I have two Strongholds and wouldn't be without them they are the greatest thing sence sliced bread. I haven't any experience with the Talon but I know it uses a key and not those darn tommy bars, those bars are a pain in the you no what. Save future grief and go the Oneway route you won't be sorry. I don't work for Oneway and not connected with them, just a happy customer that is presently saving all my spare coins in hope that someday I can own a Oneway Lathe. Hope this helps with you decision.
    Regards Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cox
    I KNEW I shoulda listened.

But NOOOOOOO, I gotta try to save $100.

I looked at chucks yesterday and bought a Nova Midi.

Then I got it home.

Crud. The jaws don't align, yes they are matched 1-1, 2-2, etc.

The chuck itself runs flat smooth, no runout I can detect by feel either at speed or by hand.

The jaws, at least .040 out. They don't close right.

The grub screws to set tension don't thread into their holes in 2 out of 3 cases.

And the tommy bars are gonna be an obvious pain.

Back to Towson tomorrow.

But now I'm leaning to a Oneway given the fit of the jaws on the Nova product.

Too bad. I have the Midi and it works fine. BTW...only one hole is threaded for the grub screw. They include the extras just to confuse you!

Since I confuse easily....................... I chose the Talon! Just love it. Stuck it on, right out of the box and it has worked great each time.

Bruce

I have a supernova. I'm happy with mine. I got such a great deal that I couldn't justify buying the Oneway. That said I think the Oneway is a superior product and you will be happy with it.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Well, I decided to try it anyway.

But, mobility issues in my left hand made the tommy bars problematic.

So the decision was really made for me by sarcoidosus.

Woodcraft in Towson couldn't have been nicer about it and I now own, and have used, a Oneway Talon.

Also met Schwing over there and went to his place for a lesson in bowl gouge 101.

Made a little maple bowl, learned a LOT, and got a truckload of wood from his stash.

When I got home the inclusion laden blank I had given up on bcame art as a result. (Won't hold water =art, right?)

Thanks evertyone for all the advice, WoodCraft for making my mistake right painlessly, and Thanks Mike.