Thread: Knitting/shop cabinet

Blog Entries

Knitting/shop cabinet

My dear wife has really taken up knitting, now her library-room is awash in yarn. And with my shop getting reorganized, I need a place just outside the shop, in the finished basement, for miscellaneous small tools. After spying the tool chest/cabinet on the cover of the October 2010 Wood magazine, I realized that I needed to build two, one for my shop and one for her library (she is a retired librarian). I wanted to use Ash, not just because that is what they used for the magazine project, but I happen to like its looks and enjoy working with Ash. However I couldn’t find Ash ply locally, so I decided to go with soft Maple for the shop cabinet and Hickory for the knitting supply cabinet. My favorite local plywood supplier, Drayton Plywood, carried Hickory in ¼” and ¾” sheets. I finished hers in time for Christmas, just got the drawer boxes done on mine today. I really got lucky with the grain pattern on the drawers in the lower cabinet, the sapwood just flows from drawer to drawer. I finished it with 3 coats of wipe-on poly followed by Johnson's paste wax. Thanks for looking.

Edit: click on the pic 3 times to get full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-04-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Very nice! If my wife sees it, she will want one for herself.

Very nice work on both !
    MARK

Beautiful! I bet your wife loves it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Great looking version of that cabinet. She has got to be a happy camper.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is beautiful...

I am in trouble as my wife saw it and now wants one. Of course, maybe it is one of those projects that I have to get a new tool in order to make it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    That is beautiful...

I am in trouble as my wife saw it and now wants one. Of course, maybe it is one of those projects that I have to get a new tool in order to make it.
    First rule of woodworking: every major project deserves a new tool! This one got me my dust collection system upgrade.

beautiful job! how did you do the doors?

Blog Entries
    The front door panels are 3/4" Hickory ply with a rabbit around the front, set into a groove in the solid door sides. The rabbits are an 1/8" wider than the grooves are deep which gives a relief groove. The only problem is that the underlying layer of ply is then exposed in the groove which is not a good thing, but from a distance is interesting. The main shelves and both the top and bottom carcases are 3/4" Hickory ply front edged with 3/4"x3/4" solid hickory just glued to the ply, no biscuits or brads. I used a flush trim bit and a tall vertical fence on my router table to remove any excess solid wood and flush it up with the ply. I used soft maple for the drawers, faced with a hickory false front. The small accent splines are Cocobolo. Here is a link to my build if you are interested: http://semiww.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...77c7debcbcb229