Thread: spray tip for GF stain

spray tip for GF stain

first time spraying HVLP...trying to figure out tip size. i have a viscosity cup and all, but i was looking it up to see what GF recommends for their water based stains. getting conflicting info.

this is what one page says....0.051(1.3) for HVLP

Recommended Spray Tips for Wood Stains and Top Coats. Fluid tip sizes should be as follows: Compressed air - .040, HVLP - .051, Airless - .009. Recommended Tips for Milk Paint. Compressed air - .050, HVLP - .072, Airless - .013. Air caps should be medium size. Contact your supplier to verify proper tip sizes for your specific equipment

but then it links to this pdf which says stains are .036-.043 (1.1-1.3)

any suggestions?

also, my tip says 10 psi max...the gun is 29. do you keep it at 10 normally.

Is this a conversion gun or straight up HVLP dedicated system? Anything over 10psi is not true HVLP.
    The 1.5mm needle set (or closest) is what you should use for any furniture finish.

Don't know a lot about spraying as just in process of researching what to buy HVLP, LVLP and conversion vs turbine. That said here is a chart from GF showing tip sizes. You can call GF Support, they are very helpful and knowledgeable and will answer all your questions.Spray Tip Sizes.pdf
    Bob, Lake Geneva, WI
    Buying high priced quality tools you only CRY ONCE, when you write the check, not every time you use it!