Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel vs. Cast Iron trunnions on bandsaw

Just in case there's a detail reason why cast iron makes a difference on the trunnions Chris - maybe consider asking Grizzly what they say is the difference?

ian

Oh yeah, a 1" resaw king is going to be ordered the same day i order he saw. If i break down the 2 saws they are real similar, except the 513 has a 2hp motor instead of the 3, no foot brake which i can live without i guess, About a 3" smaller table and about 40lbs lighter. Other than that, same guides, same fence, same basic design and the 513 is $1,095 vs $1,325 for the 514. That alone pays for the resaw king or a similar blade an maybe a couple bucks left over? I just dont want to regret not having the 3hp. Ive bought so many tools twice because i used to base my decisions on cost only, so now i always second guess myself when i make the bigger purchases. I am kicking myself for selling my MM16 3 years ago ( I sure as soon as i finally make my decision, grizzly will be out of stock on the one i choose!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee View Post
    For those with the 513, has the 2hp been enough for most resaws? Say 6-8" high? I have jet now with a 1 1/2 hp and i can stop the blade on 6" spanish cedar, which isnt that hard of a wood. I want to be able to turn 4/4 spanish cedar into 2 3/8" panels. Is the 2 hp 0513 strong enough? For that matter, anyone with the 0514, is the 3hp saw capable?

I cant afford a 5hp MM or Laguna and frankly will be using this pretty lightly and couldnt justify their cost anyways.
    I have resawn white oak to the absolute max capacity of my G5013 with a thin kerf (.025) Timberwolf 3/4" 3tpi blade. I had an at length discussion with a TW tech guy about resawing with the G5013 and he is the one that recommended the thin kerf blade 3/4" blade and it has worked super! I'm sure that bigger saws would have gone faster but it certainly did the job to my satisfaction. I bought the saw when they first came out several years ago and I've really like the saw and never missed the CI trunnion or the CI wheels for that matter. IMHO, it is really hard to be the basic G0513 usless you are working with really big heavy logs. I'd say for the resawing that you describe as your main focus, that you could not go wrong with either saw that you listed in your OP.

These resawn white oak pieces are door panels for an entertainment center that are 42" long and a full 12" wide. Resawn on the G0513 with no issue.

28996675.JPG
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 02-06-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Cast iron ,

What are you looking for as far as used?

IMO,

Look at Oliver,Tannewitz or Northfield...the older American made machinery.....they are in a different league entirely, .......

B,
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 02-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...824268216.html

Is rikon a similar saw?, this one includes two resaw kings.

I would check as to whether the 1" resaw king is a good choice for the saw. It isn't nearly as strong as the MM16- even the older model. The 3/4 will require less strength to tension and while that blade doesn't need the tension a trimaster does the extra width doesn't mean all that much when resawing. Tension will help more than a wide blade will. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...824268216.html

Is rikon a similar saw?, this one includes two resaw kings.
    That saw might well be worth a look, the 18" Rikon is very similar in quality to the 513/514 Grizzlys and the blades are a bonus, I woul offer less though, if he bought the saw on sale he paid $1k.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I would check as to whether the 1" resaw king is a good choice for the saw. It isn't nearly as strong as the MM16- even the older model. The 3/4 will require less strength to tension and while that blade doesn't need the tension a trimaster does the extra width doesn't mean all that much when resawing. Tension will help more than a wide blade will. Dave
    I agree, I would order a 3/4" carbide blade for the 513 or 514.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I looked at that Rikon, but in my opinion he is way off on pricing. That saw can be had new for 1100-1200 with Woodcraft's regular sales. And who knows how much wood has been put through those blades. Doesnt do me much good if I have to immediately have them sharpened. Dont get me wrong, its a nice saw, but I would be a buyer on his saw at around $800 or so. Maybe thats low but this is a made in China bandsaw. In my opinion they dont hold their value like the European saws. If Im spending near his $1200 I'll just buy new.

Note taken about the 3/4" blade. I hadnt even thought that the griz couldnt properly tension a 1" blade. Thanks for the heads up. I am trying to work out a trip up to the Muncy, PA store to play with the saws and bring one home. Right now leaning toward the 0513 for the savings and I might just be able to fit a new jointer in the back of the truck with these savings ) So long as the wife doesnt know about it. Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Just a little warning, if you DO come up to Muncy be prepared to spend more than you wanted to. You'll be wanting a 12" jointer and a bigger bandsaw and a new table saw, etc..... Fun to look at everything though. I avoided the bandsaw section last time I was there, cuz I want one too but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee View Post
    In my opinion they dont hold their value like the European saws. If Im spending near his $1200 I'll just buy new.

I've said this a million times, but I would just hold out for an Italian saw. They do come up, and if you decide to bail out, they hold their value.

Thowing a little wrinkle in the mix here. I have still been going back and forth and today i saw t hat Laguna is selling a demo LT14SUV for around $1,300. I know its only a 14" saw but this appears to be a great resaw machine with a 3hp Leeson motor. Knowing the prices are should i grab that Laguna?

Look at the Griggio posted on deals by Stephen. Even better. Dave

My concern with that is the 3 phase and buying the Vfd. And then getting it here from Michigan. Probably another 300 there? No?

Chris, once you go three phase you won't go back. I'm assuming no shipping for the Laguna? May be a wash. Keep in mind I'm biased. My smallest saw is a Yate Y20 and the largest is the Oliver 116. The Yates replaced a Laguna LT18. Dave