I finally got a little turning time today to make some projects for upcoming school and church auctions. It didn't last very long as I'm still recuperating from a fall on the ice a few weeks ago (but that's another story!)

Anyway, I started to turn a bowl from some Box Elder. Just as I was rounding the bottom and making the tenon, I noticed a small branch/bark inclusion. Not wanting to waste time on something that might not work out, I decided to try a different blank. Once I rounded out the outside of the second blank, my body had had enough.

And here's where it gets weird : I looked at the inclusion of the Box Elder and decided to add some thin CA to beef it up so I can finish a bowl at another time. When I did this, the CA made a sizzling sound and put off a little cloud. Then I added a little more and it did it again. I tried to get a closer look but the CA fumes were too strong. Then I added CA a third time and it still sizzled. Finally after a good soaking everything seemed fine.

What gives? Any insight on this phenomena?

I've used a fair amount of CA (thin and thick) and have never seen a reaction like this. It wasn't smoking just sizzling and a little puff of something....