Thread: New Glaser Hitec tool - pic

Cool New Glaser Hitec tool - pic

Hi all,
    Thought I'd drop in with a few comments on our new Glaser gouge. I have no commercial connection with Glaser.
    Tool was ordered as a Christmas present for my wife and was engraved with her name. Nice touch for that special turner in your family.
    Paulo Marin of Glaser-Hitec was very helpful in getting me the gouge.
    Barbara (the real turner in the family) agreed to let me take the photo while she worked on a Mesquite hollow form.
    The tool is very hard, takes and holds a very sharp edge. Tool flute length (=tool life) is about 1" longer than the original and has a deeper flute.
    Handle is ~2" longer and has an excellent feel. More expensive than an M2 tool but holds up so much much better long term. Our original Jerry Glaser 5/8" gouge
    has seen a lot of action and has lasted ~5 years. We sharpen with alum oxide wheels. Diamond hand hone can refresh the edge as well.
    Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on the new Glaser, Barbara and Jon. I'm sure you'll find this tool to be among the best possible choices for woodturning. The Glaser 15V holds an edge for a very long time!

Barbara, please post your work. We' love to see it!

Harvey

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with Harvey, I love these things. They really changed the way I turn. Turning a chunk of Mesquite that big will definitely put the edge to the test. I can't wait to see your results. Post pics asap please.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have one of the original 15v's and I'd have to say it amazes me at how much longer it holds it's edge compared to the other tools. You are absolutely going to love it!

My 1/2" 15V should be in in the next day or so. I can't wait to use it. Paulo is a great guy and makes wonderful tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I have to agree with Harvey, I love these things. They really changed the way I turn. Turning a chunk of Mesquite that big will definitely put the edge to the test. I can't wait to see your results. Post pics asap please.
    Bill, I've heard you praise the new Glaser gouges, but can you elaborate on your comment regarding changing the way you turn? What is it that is such a game changer?