Thread: Jet Dust collector

Jet Dust collector

I was given a nice 1hp Jet Dust collector and I need some advise on what hoses and connectors I will need to get it up and running properly. I know its a 4" port and I would like to hook it to 4 pieces of equipment. I thought of hooking some PVC to the ceiling and running it down to each piece. Suggestions??

From what I have read, a 1HP is really only suitable for lower CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) needs and can only service one tool at a time. You will probably see too much airflow loss from anything but a very short section of flex/straight pipe. I think you are looking at using just enough flex to hook up to a single tool (5-6' of 4" flex for example) and needing to move it to each machine, or the machines to it.
    There is a wealth of information (and debate) on how much CFM you need/etc. (here at the creek and elsewhere). But even if you are targeting "low" CFM numbers like ~400CFM, this will restrict you to a very short hose length (Many opinions are that you need 700-1000CFM which I don't think I've seen a 1HP unit advertised that can pull that, and that would require larger diameter duct and on and on... (I've been spending a ridiculous amount of time these last few weeks researching the subject as I'm on the cusp of buying a Dust Collector).

Since running straight pipe will likely involve a few bends and a flex hose attached to the end, I don't think you are going to have adequate airflow with that sort of a setup.

I would make it portable and drag it to each machine and use as short a piece of ductwork as possible. That or sell it for a larger DC.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I would make it portable and drag it to each machine and use as short a piece of ductwork as possible. That or sell it for a larger DC.
    Ditto. This an an excellent way to get the most out of that machine.

My current plan involves buying those smaller collectors when I see a good buy and building islands. Currently have 2 Delta AP400s. Plan is to use one at my wife's lathe, the other at the Shopsmith and Band Saw. I have a larger Jet that will sit in a separate island with the Table Saw, Planer, and Jointer. Eventually each collector will have a Thein separator on the front end and the top bag replaced with a Wynn filter. I don't like the idea of running collection pipe all over my shop and this leaves me better able to rearrange equipment as I work out better placement. Also have a dust deputy than will soon be residing in a Shopnotes style vacuum cart with a Ridgid 1450 I picked up for the project. I'll use it on tools that I wheel into the driveway on nice days and the router table. Eventually I'll pick up a Festool vacuum to go with my meager but hopefully expanding Festool arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    +2 on that advice. I started with the identical Delta dc, I used a flexible tubing and quick disconnect and moved it from tool to tool. You will need a larger dc if you plan on a duct system.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Sounds like the rational way to maximise the output of a smaller HP dust system - the shortest possible hose, matched with a HEPA cartridge filter set up to give decent filtration and a separator so that the filter doesn't blind up and choke the fan.

The bit i've no information on i what sort of pressure drop the separator and the cartridge filter might add - so it's hard to predict the sort of CFM it might end up delivering. Chances are that if allowed to flow freely it might end up around 4 or 5in WG - at which 1hp should deliver around 450cfm for real. 2hp should step it up to around maybe 700cfm.

The killer is going the other way - loading it up with long duct runs and the like, and still expecting it to do a job...

ian