Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
Agreed. Long ago I took my new beagle puppy to obedience class. The instructor was walking around looking at all the dogs saying how cute they were and what some of the admirable characteristics of each breed was and what the owner might expect to get from the class. As she got to me she barely slowed her pace, looked me in the eye and simply said "my condolences" and moved on. I found out what she meant but, in the end it was worth it.
That's pretty darn funny.

My previous dog was all lab. He was 16 weeks old when we got him, and we were told he may be "vicious." A lab? Surely you jest.

He was nippy. We trained him. He responded well to training. He was a fantastic family member for nearly 12 years. I took him to work with me every day. He was my constant companion his entire life.

So fast forward to the new dog, our house is small, so I wanted a smaller dog, if any.

So my wife gets me the half beagle/half lab.

Knowing nothing of beagles beforehand, I didn't expect any problems.

All I can say is that the beagle stubbornness is a dominant trait. As is the baying. The digging, too. Burying your treats, bones, etc., inside furniture, too. He looks like a lab, acts like a beagle.

Beagles are born troublemakers, I think.

But I wouldn't trade my half beagle for anything in the world.