Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of control doggies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Out of control doggies

Hi everyone-- I have two little beagle dogs, and they are out of control. They snore, pass gas as loud as they can, and walk around on the kitchen table when they think that I am not watching. My sofa is filled with rawhide bones that they have burried in there. Notice the big ones nose- covered in mud, she was digging another hole. Does anyone have any advice on a discipline program for these two:

puppiesj.jpg

They snore, pass gas as loud as they can, and walk around on the kitchen table when they think that I am not watching. My sofa is filled with rawhide bones that they have burried in there. Notice the big ones nose- covered in mud, she was digging another hole
    My wife says exactly the same things about me...
    & then some...

For the gas; Change the food and add a probiotic, or spoon of yougurt to the food bowl.
    For the sofa and the table: Get an in home electronic collar system with multiple units, and keep the chairs pushed in when not in use. Multiple spray bottles, kept around the house, filled with water are a good long distance deterrent also.
    The little guy is probably taking his cues from the bigger one, and he's actually too young for an eCollar. If you get control of the bigger guy, the little guy may fall in line.

Other than that they sound like nice little dogs and would be a scream to play around with.

PS.
    How is that little guy getting up on the kitchen table??
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Actually, it sounds like the dogs aren't out of control but in complete control

Have you trained them at all? A well trained dog is a happy dog because his pack leader isn't constantly mad at him all the time. Dogs naturally want to please you and/or get attention from you. Once they understand what the right behaviors are you'll be all set. Except maybe for the gas thing.

"I have two little beagle dogs, and they are out of control."

a bit redundant don't you think

I have a regular customer who has a (at least mostly) beagle that could probably power a small city from a treadmill. I maybe spend 1-2 weeks working at this house per year, but the dog (Doug) knows when I come that I won't pet it until it sits down and doesn't jump up on me. Consistent expectations breed good behavior.

I must say, thought it was pretty funny when I was cleaning the haze off a tile floor I had just grouted for the customer. I was wiping it off with a rag for the final cleaning, and the dog was tirelessly chasing the rag.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    "I have two little beagle dogs, and they are out of control."

a bit redundant don't you think
    Agreed. Long ago I took my new beagle puppy to obedience class. The instructor was walking around looking at all the dogs saying how cute they were and what some of the admirable characteristics of each breed was and what the owner might expect to get from the class. As she got to me she barely slowed her pace, looked me in the eye and simply said "my condolences" and moved on. I found out what she meant but, in the end it was worth it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Agreed. Long ago I took my new beagle puppy to obedience class. The instructor was walking around looking at all the dogs saying how cute they were and what some of the admirable characteristics of each breed was and what the owner might expect to get from the class. As she got to me she barely slowed her pace, looked me in the eye and simply said "my condolences" and moved on. I found out what she meant but, in the end it was worth it.
    That's pretty darn funny.

My previous dog was all lab. He was 16 weeks old when we got him, and we were told he may be "vicious." A lab? Surely you jest.

He was nippy. We trained him. He responded well to training. He was a fantastic family member for nearly 12 years. I took him to work with me every day. He was my constant companion his entire life.

So fast forward to the new dog, our house is small, so I wanted a smaller dog, if any.

So my wife gets me the half beagle/half lab.

Knowing nothing of beagles beforehand, I didn't expect any problems.

All I can say is that the beagle stubbornness is a dominant trait. As is the baying. The digging, too. Burying your treats, bones, etc., inside furniture, too. He looks like a lab, acts like a beagle.

Beagles are born troublemakers, I think.

But I wouldn't trade my half beagle for anything in the world.

I have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of advice. However, I was once trained by a beagle. I dated a guy who had a beagle named Snoopy. The guy was a farmer so Snoopy rode everywhere on the farm with him. The guy also had a jeep and the passenger seat was Snoopy's seat. Long story short, I got to ride in the back seat when we went anywhere in the jeep.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of advice. However, I was once trained by a beagle. I dated a guy who had a beagle named Snoopy. The guy was a farmer so Snoopy rode everywhere on the farm with him. The guy also had a jeep and the passenger seat was Snoopy's seat. Long story short, I got to ride in the back seat when we went anywhere in the jeep.
    Ayep. Same here. My half beagle rides shotgun. You can try to ride in the front passenger seat, but expect a dog to climb onto your lap.

My wife <- not thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Ayep. Same here. My half beagle rides shotgun. You can try to ride in the front passenger seat, but expect a dog to climb onto your lap.

My wife <- not thrilled.
    I would have been happy to have the dog climb onto my lap. We would start out sharing the seat, then he would do one of those disgusted huffs and start nudging me over with his rear end. He would do this every few minutes until I was on the very edge of the seat. It was safer to just get in the back. I ended up marrying the guy and, needless to say, Snoopy had a side of the bed, too. At one point we had Snoopy, two English Setters used for bird hunting, a three legged Golden Retriever I had rescued, three barn cats, and a pet pig. Pigs are hard to train.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Pigs are hard to train.
    They take up a lot of the front seat, too.

.....At one point we had Snoopy, two English Setters used for bird hunting, a three legged Golden Retriever I had rescued, three barn cats, and a pet pig....
    On the bed.......?

Here's why owning Beagles is an experience:

Last edited by Bill Edwards(2); 02-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    On the bed.......?
    No. Only Snoopy was allowed on the bed. I do recall one occasion when all the dogs were in the living room after a particularly close lightning strike. One second we were all on the front porch and then we were all in the living room and I have no idea how we got there.

Bella Terra