Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of control doggies

Out of control doggies

Hi everyone-- I have two little beagle dogs, and they are out of control. They snore, pass gas as loud as they can, and walk around on the kitchen table when they think that I am not watching. My sofa is filled with rawhide bones that they have burried in there. Notice the big ones nose- covered in mud, she was digging another hole. Does anyone have any advice on a discipline program for these two:

puppiesj.jpg

They snore, pass gas as loud as they can, and walk around on the kitchen table when they think that I am not watching. My sofa is filled with rawhide bones that they have burried in there. Notice the big ones nose- covered in mud, she was digging another hole
    My wife says exactly the same things about me...
    & then some...

For the gas; Change the food and add a probiotic, or spoon of yougurt to the food bowl.
    For the sofa and the table: Get an in home electronic collar system with multiple units, and keep the chairs pushed in when not in use. Multiple spray bottles, kept around the house, filled with water are a good long distance deterrent also.
    The little guy is probably taking his cues from the bigger one, and he's actually too young for an eCollar. If you get control of the bigger guy, the little guy may fall in line.

Other than that they sound like nice little dogs and would be a scream to play around with.

PS.
    How is that little guy getting up on the kitchen table??
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Actually, it sounds like the dogs aren't out of control but in complete control

Have you trained them at all? A well trained dog is a happy dog because his pack leader isn't constantly mad at him all the time. Dogs naturally want to please you and/or get attention from you. Once they understand what the right behaviors are you'll be all set. Except maybe for the gas thing.

"I have two little beagle dogs, and they are out of control."

a bit redundant don't you think

I have a regular customer who has a (at least mostly) beagle that could probably power a small city from a treadmill. I maybe spend 1-2 weeks working at this house per year, but the dog (Doug) knows when I come that I won't pet it until it sits down and doesn't jump up on me. Consistent expectations breed good behavior.

I must say, thought it was pretty funny when I was cleaning the haze off a tile floor I had just grouted for the customer. I was wiping it off with a rag for the final cleaning, and the dog was tirelessly chasing the rag.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Actually, it sounds like the dogs aren't out of control but in complete control

Have you trained them at all? A well trained dog is a happy dog because his pack leader isn't constantly mad at him all the time. Dogs naturally want to please you and/or get attention from you. Once they understand what the right behaviors are you'll be all set. Except maybe for the gas thing.
    I concur, watch a few episodes of the Dog Whisperer and you will see that your dogs need more exercise and you need to set limits for their behavior. Hunting dogs need to work. Buy a doggy back pack for the big one and walk them a couple of miles every day.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They need to WORK or at least walk. A tired dog makes happy owners and if you walk them you will be better for it as well.

BTW given how cute they are I know why they get away with murder!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Depending on how much you know about dogs, consider taking a dog obedience class with your dogs. It is potentially useful even if you do know about dogs.

The claim is that using a clicker in your training is more effective than voice training because the dogs do not hear a clicker in other situations (unlike your voice). The idea is that the click is the reward, usually paired with a treat of some sort. The principle behind clicker training comes from "operant conditioning" (we learn from the consequences of our actions). We usually repeat actions that have positive outcomes and not repeat those that have negative ones.

The official word is as follows:

Step one is to click and give a treat or reward. Do this until the dog expects a treat when he hears the click. Our current dog is highly food motivated so regular food is fine for many circumstances. For serious training, however, use something special such as small bits of cold cuts or cheese.

After setting the expectation, wait until your dog does something that you want to reinforce. Click during the desired behavior. If you want to teach sitting, click and give a treat every time he begins to sit, then delay the click and treat until his back side is fully on the ground. Once your dog associates the act of sitting with a reward, add the verbal cue “sit” before this desired behavior occurs. When your dog’s response to the sit command becomes consistent, continue to use the clicker, but vary the food rewards. Your dog will be well on his way... of course, I am not always so patient so I may force the dog into a sit (bad me).

If you do not want the dogs on the couch, be relentless and do not allow them there. Render these inaccessible. Begin working immediately on simple things such as sit. It is also useful to have a spot for the dog to go with a command to send them there. For us this is a crate, but if you do not create your dog a dog bed or piece of carpet should suffice.

Probably enough for now.

Oh, I told my wife that she had to deal with the dog, not I. So, I told her to hire a dog trainer and she is both in obedience training with the dog and paying for private help. I grew up with dogs, she grew up totally afraid of dogs. Almost fell over dead when she told me that she wanted to get a dog.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful dogs Stephen. Sounds like everythings kind of going ok to me. Except the part about the dogs being on the kitchen table, I'm sure they'll learn to not get up there.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 02-09-2012 at 6:40 PM.

Thanks for the great advice everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Beautiful dogs Stephen. Sounds like everythings kind of going ok to me. Except the part about the dogs being on the kitchen table, I'm sure they'll learn to not get up there.

PHM
    Paul, the up on table thing kind of bothers me, but everyone I know who has beagles has had similar experience. My theory is that the same desire that makes them happy to chase a smell into sticker bushes, etc, also makes them want to get up there and sniff around. They get in trouble each time. I kind of like the snoring, and other noises though. Plus, they are super friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Thanks for the great advice everybody

Paul, the up on table thing kind of bothers me, but everyone I know who has beagles has had similar experience. My theory is that the same desire that makes them happy to chase a smell into sticker bushes, etc, also makes them want to get up there and sniff around. They get in trouble each time. I kind of like the snoring, and other noises though. Plus, they are super friendly.
    LOL, I'm not buying it.

There is a significant difference in their ages, isn't there?

If the first one was such a pain, why in the world would you get a 2nd one?

Those guys are adorable. What are their names?

- Phil, "dad" of a lab/beagle mix. Looks like a lab, acts like a beagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    LOL, I'm not buying it.

There is a significant difference in their ages, isn't there?

If the first one was such a pain, why in the world would you get a 2nd one?

Those guys are adorable. What are their names?

- Phil, "dad" of a lab/beagle mix. Looks like a lab, acts like a beagle.

The big one is Sweet Pea, and the little one Boo Boo. The're half sisters. Actually, we went for a puppy, and got the bigger dog at a discount. (she was the only surviving puppy of a litter of two) The picture is from last spring, so the little dog is now bigger than the bigger dog. Sweet Pea is my favorite though- I got her on sale.

One thing that they do when we go for walks is very funny- one will grab the others leash and start pulling the other around. They both do this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    "I have two little beagle dogs, and they are out of control."

a bit redundant don't you think
    Agreed. Long ago I took my new beagle puppy to obedience class. The instructor was walking around looking at all the dogs saying how cute they were and what some of the admirable characteristics of each breed was and what the owner might expect to get from the class. As she got to me she barely slowed her pace, looked me in the eye and simply said "my condolences" and moved on. I found out what she meant but, in the end it was worth it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    They need to WORK or at least walk. A tired dog makes happy owners and if you walk them you will be better for it as well.

BTW given how cute they are I know why they get away with murder!
    +1 on hunting dogs with jobs. Beagles and Jack Russel terriers should come with warning labels.