Thread: Dovetail Jigs

Dovetail Jigs

I want to get a dovetail jig and would like your input on which one to get. i believe I want one that will do through dovetails, half blind dovetails and sliding dovetails.

Hit me with your reccommendations and the pros and cons of each one as you see them.

Thanks

George

You'll find that there are many excellent jigs on the market and as many advocates for each. This topic has been breached numerous times on this site so my recommendation is do a search for dovetail jigs and you'll find many threads with lots of information on the different jigs and their pros/cons.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

The PC 4212 meets all you criteria.

How much do you want to spend?? No use recommending something that is above your limit.

Now having said that, I am aprtial to the Keller and the Leigh. Again, they maybe more than you want to spend.

you'd be surprised how easy dovetailing is by hand if you watch frank klausz's dvd and practice a few times

In general DT jigs are love and hate, most people love theirs and hate the rest. In the end I would be happy with the PC 24" Omnijig or Leigh D4R pro but they are at the upper end of the price range.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the Porter Cable 4212 and I am very happy with it. It will do everything you listed and more. I think it is the minimun jig I would go with.

How many drawers do you make? If you plan to do a lot even the jigs are less than perfect. I gave up and found a used Omec 650M- similar to a Dodds SE1 with pneumatic clamps and would sell the dog before I let it go. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    How many drawers do you make? If you plan to do a lot even the jigs are less than perfect. I gave up and found a used Omec 650M- similar to a Dodds SE1 with pneumatic clamps and would sell the dog before I let it go. Dave
    alright, that got me drooling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ywp7UJthB4

i'll still stick to a hammer and chisel though

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    alright, that got me drooling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ywp7UJthB4

i'll still stick to a hammer and chisel though
    You're kidding me? It takes an operator?

I like my Leigh D4R Pro - but it is pricey.

That said - as someone else pointed out, hand cut is fast and easy for through dovetails. I make a LOT of dovetailed boxes for sale online and the local farmer's market. If I have only one or two to do, I hand cut. When I have more than that to do, I set up the jig.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Porter-Cable. Price/value is good.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I did research on this a year or two ago. My conclusions:

Frequent use and > $500 to spend: Leigh D4R
    Frequent use and < $500 to spend: Porter Cable
    Infrequent, budget use: Plate style jig that you mount onto a block and use yr own clamps/supports for (e.g. MLCS)

I have the MLCS. It works just fine. It's not fast, dc friendly or as flexible as the other jigs.

George -

As others have said, there's a broad spectrum out there.....frequency and budget will be a good start in what you're needing. If you need a one-time use for a quick drawer, run down to harbor freight If you need dead on accuracy (not saying other aren't) where you can adjust the fingers, then you're going to pay for it.

I'm a hobbyist and just got a Porter Cable 4212. Spent an afternoon reading the book and playing around and came up with these.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...loat&highlight=

You can't adjust the fingers, but I knew that when I bought it. All the DT are equally spaced apart. It is a solid jig and I'm really happy I added it to my shop.