Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you put your cords?

You can't attach flexible cord to a structure, it's not allowed to be used as a replacement for permanent wiring.

I would either build a wood cover on the floor, or add a ceiling box with a drop cord cord.................Regards, Rod.

In my old garage, my tablesaw was in the middle of the floor (2 car garage). I built a hollow square post next to the saw and ran all my wiring down through it from the ceiling. Plus, it gave me yet another place to hang tools and saw blades and what not. Nothing structural - just functional.

I prefer raceways to overhead, especially with the TS. I wouldn't use Romex for an extension cord, if that's what you're talking about. It should be stranded wire. Around here, they won't let you get away with surface wiring with Romex, either. If it's not inside a wall or ceiling, it needs to be in conduit or some other protective cover.

I do have overhead 120v outlets everywhere, especially over the bench and the TS, which often serves as an assembly table. I hang pigtails to make them easy to reach.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Doug, why would you not use Romex for an extension cord?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Doug, why would you not use Romex for an extension cord?
    Romex is meant for fixed wiring, where it's protected from mechanical injury.

It is not allowed to be used in place of flexible cord, as it isn't meant for flexing (solid conductor) and the sheath isn't abrasion resistant..........Regards, Rod.

Bummer. I bought the Romex because I thought it was the top end safest.

Surface mount conduit out to boxes above the tools and then correct strain relief connections with twist-locks for the drops with cords at exact length to do the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Surface mount conduit out to boxes above the tools and then correct strain relief connections with twist-locks for the drops with cords at exact length to do the job.
    And, it would be a heck of a lot more expensive than four 2X4s wrapped in 1/2" ply to create a hollow post with "normal" plugs!

I can't seem to visualize how the cord hanging from the ceiling would not get n the way of crosscutting. If anyone can post a picture I would appreciate it.
    I'm in the process of setting-up shop and trying to decide where to wire the outlets. That of course entails where the tools are going to go. Trying not to put things in the "wrong" place are making this harder than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    And, it would be a heck of a lot more expensive than four 2X4s wrapped in 1/2" ply to create a hollow post with "normal" plugs!
    True dat........
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brian,

What we call "Romex" (actually, Romex is a brand, like Kleenex) is solid copper wire while our extension cords are made up of many fine strands of wire. The solid copper is "better" when it is put into place and then not flexed back and forth. The solid conductors are better held in the wire clamps and less prone to corroding out. On the other hand, with enough flexing the single strand will fatigue and break. Hence the value of the many-strand copper used in extension cords.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Greetings from Anchorage,

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deb Malloy View Post
    I can't seem to visualize how the cord hanging from the ceiling would not get n the way of crosscutting. If anyone can post a picture I would appreciate it.
    I'm in the process of setting-up shop and trying to decide where to wire the outlets. That of course entails where the tools are going to go. Trying not to put things in the "wrong" place are making this harder than necessary.
    Where will you have the duct to the DC? Run the cord along the duct.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Romex is meant for fixed wiring, where it's protected from mechanical injury.

It is not allowed to be used in place of flexible cord, as it isn't meant for flexing (solid conductor) and the sheath isn't abrasion resistant..........Regards, Rod.
    Yeah, that. Thanks, Rod. I didn't check back.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Where will you have the duct to the DC? Run the cord along the duct.
    The dust collector is in the middle of the room, with an octopus of short ducts to the dust-making machines. Its 110 cord drops down from the ceiling.

Mr Kent.....

My mistake. Points off for lack of clarity. I was replying to Deb's post immediately prior.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.