Thread: Dyed maple end tables.

Dyed maple end tables.

Since I'm new around here I wanted to let you all get to know me through some of my work.
    Here's a pair of end tables I made recently.IMG_0281.jpgIMG_0278.jpg
    I call them my "On Pointe" end tables because of the feet. They remind me of a ballerina's foot on pointe. They're made from some nice highly figured maple I had picked up at an estate auction. I used an aniline dye to get the color.

Welcome, nice work!! My favorite wood too!

Nice tables.

Can you share the details on the dye? Particularly, the color? Any sealer used?

I'm staring down a small maple table, and I don't have any past experience with dye on maple.........tricks & tips appreciated.

thanks
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I mixed the color using red and walnut Transtint (I think that's the brand name) dye. Start with distilled water and a little bit of the main color. In my case, red. keep adding and testing on scrap until you reach a good density of color and then add a few drops of the tinting color. Walnut, in my case. Once I'm happy with the color I apply the mix on my piece with a soft wiping rag. I don't use any fillers or anything on maple. It's a nice tight grain.
    I sand very lightly with 320 after the surface dries to knock off any fuzzy fibers raised by the water in the dye mix. Then, on these tables I oiled liberally with tung oil and after that polymerized I topped them off with 5 coats of spar urethane and then polished the surface with very fine rubbing compound.
    That's how I did it anyhow.

Mark - thanks. Very familiar with the Transtint and his powdered cousin, Transfast.

You answered my question......density of base color - red - first, then tint - walnut - for final color/tone.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.