Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for a scroll saw......

I have a DeWalt DW788 Type 1(Made in Canada) and I love it. Works like it's supposed to. Picked it up on CL with light and stand for $250.

The Delta 40-690 is being replaced by the 40-695. But at $350 new it's a sweet deal.
    http://www.deltamachinery.com/produc...category_id=48

If the money allows it then the Excalibur(made in Taiwan) is the way to go. Hegner(Made in Germany) and RBI(Made in USA) are good, but they need to catch up to the times. Eclipse(Made in USA) is expensive and at $1500 it's a rich man's tool.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Hi all ,my very post here,I'm not sure if this is the one you're talking about but it's a great site none the less:
    http://www.scrollsaws.com/
    Also:
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/
    BTW,I have a Dewalt 788 type II and love it.

Yeah the first one. Thanks.

What is different in the DeWalt saws after type one?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a couple of those other saws under my workbench. What I finally ended up with is a Hawk G4. The main reason is changing out blades. If you do a lot of scrolling you quickly get very annoyed at the blade hook and unhook mechanisims on those other saws. I love my Hawk. Russ

http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/ BTW thier website sucks but the product is very sound.

G4-Hawk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    What is different in the DeWalt saws after type one?
    The only thing I noticed in my type 2 was a very slight blade movement from front to back which was easily fixed,some owners of type 2 complained about a knocking noise after a couple of years of use.
    As far as I know all the small problems with type 2 are easily fixable ,mine is a pleasure to use.
    The link below is the fixes for the Dewalt 788 type 2:
    http://www.scrollsaws.com/SawReviews/DewltTuneUp.htm

Thanks folks!

The wife flew into Spokane last night after spending 3 weeks with her Mom in Illinois. I drove there from our home 110 miles away. We spent the night in a hotel. I had an appointment with my implant audiologist today.

After words, we went to WoodCraft to pick up the Woodpecker drill press table I'd ordered. We walked out with a new Escalibur EX-21, stand and footpedal after one of the owners offered us a deal we couldn't refuse.

My wife bought her first power tool today.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great Ken! That is an excellent SS. Hope your wife likes it and enjoys the "new" hobby. There is a lot of uses for a SS when you explore its capabilities.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Congrats on the new scroll saw. I have a delta P-20 and love it, but they don't make them any longer. One word of caution. A scroll saw is almost as addictive as a wood lathe. Good luck with that.

Steve

I recently took advantage of the Woodcraft sale of the Delta (DeWalt clone) scroll saw. I read somewhere that Delta is coming out with a slightly improved model--which is why Woodcraft offers such a good sale price (can't confirm this). This saw (and DeWalt) offer many modern features. Did quite a bit of "research" first because I have never gotten into scroll work and wanted this to be the only one I would ever need. Putting the base together by myself was a challenge, needing more tools than the manual mentioned, and a lot of patience. The saw itself seems to work very well, based on a few practice cuts. Now it's time to read some books (on order) and to learn how to operate the tool.

David......the Delta was a good value at WoodCraft but unforturnately when I started looking they were all sold out.

Since my wife is the person who wanted the scroll saw and will be the primary user, I elected to get the Excalibur EX-21 with the tilting head. For her to operate it with the table remaining horizontal and the saw head tilting was just safer IMHO. She has used my lathe once to turn two pens with me standing there and that is the limit of her wood working power tool experience. I had her sign up for a day long beginners scroll saw class at WoodCraft one week from now.
    Ken

David just grab a few blades and a chunk of cheap pine or aspen. draw a few squiggly lines and have at it. You can read all the books you want but until you start cutting they won't mean much to you. I would start with about a number 5 blade.
    Have fun.

Steve

"...just grab a few blades and a chunk of cheap pine or aspen. draw a few squiggly lines and have at it."
    Yes, that sounds like good advice. I have an advanced project in mind that includes a lot of unknown factors that include the saw, blades, materials, use of patterns, and probably some other factors. There's much to learn quickly by practicing on some dummy projects first, so that will be my approach. Then go for the birthday gift that should have been presented today! Maybe it will turn out to be a Christmas present.

Ken,

One recommendation. I like using Flying Dutchman scroll saw blades. They are very, very sharp and come in an endless assortment of types. I get them from Mikes workshop dot com. If you e-mail him he will send out some samples.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Ken,
    Excalibur also sells an EX-16 which is a much better all around size if your wife knows she isnt making anything larger then thirty inches,
    which is a pretty good sized item. and you wont find better customer service then Ray @ Seyco. he truly is the best and will bend over
    backwards to help out Excalibur owners!

Too late Kevin. The EX-21 and stand are in the shop, set up and have been test driven. Next week she and I are both attending a day long scroll saw class. Thanks for the advice though!
    Ken