Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need recommendations for a scroll saw......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    One issue with older scroll saws is that they're not constant tension.
    If the spring is good, there is no problem.

[Another thing about older scroll saws is that they usually are not variable speed.
    Many of them have a Reeves type drive, for infinite speed settings. Others have a multi-sheave pulley system.

Finally, look at how the blade gets attached. Many of the modern SS have tool-less blade change - and that's really nice. Once you struggle with the old way of changing blades, you'll really appreciate the new, easy blade change feature.]
    My Delta has a thumb screw. Unless you consider thumbs to be tools.

But if you have $500 or more to throw into a scroll saw, by all means get it. I prefer to buy for $50, put less than $100 into it, and have a $500 tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 02-19-2012 at 5:55 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I spent over 40 years repairing equipment professionally. I prefer to buy new and not repair it.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-19-2012 at 6:31 PM. Reason: correctedspelling
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    But if you have $500 or more to throw into a scroll saw, by all means get it. I prefer to buy for $50, put less than $100 into it, and have a $500 tool.
    If you can get $500 for a restored older scroll saw that you paid $50 for and put $100 into, you should go into business restoring them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Ken, your gonna love that saw and i will pm you a few links to some great scrolling forums