Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compact battery for 3M AirStream or BreatheEasy respirators

Chris: I tried it today and it works well. I've not run it down, so I can't say how long it will last. My 3M unit is the one with the blower and filter on my belt, so I have more flexibility in where to mount the battery. I just velcro it to the respirator unit. I think the Aukey pack would be a bit long for mounting on the helmet.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The RavPower pack works perfectly! I just ordered 2 more.

I had a strange issue with the Aukey pack, I could get it to power the helmet, but only if I pushed the power button before connecting it to the helmet. I thought that wasn't such a big issue, but then I unplugged it and tried to turn it on again and nothing happened. It was as if the pack was frozen, I couldn't turn it on or even charge my phone with it. I thought I had shorted something, then I tried plugging the battery pack itself into a USB charger and it came back to life. I can then get the helmet to power on again, but if I unplug it the same thing keeps happening. The Aukey pack will be going back, the RavPower pack works beautifully every time I plug it in and is smaller and lighter than the Aukey pack so it's kind of a no-brainer as to which one I'm going to use. I just hope I can keep finding compatible packs in the coming years, although I can always go back to my AA battery pack in that eventuality.

My 3M battery finally died so for a replacement, I purchased a Ravpower 10400. Next was to figure out a way to use it with the helmet. The answer turned out to be fairly easy. The fan assembly removes easily from the helmet and the existing 3 prong connector cord can easily be removed from the fan assembly. The hardest part is cutting the metal ring off of the cord inside the fan housing. Cut the two leads where they attach to the fan leads and completely remove the old cord intact.
    20151028_151428.jpg
    Now get a standard USB cable, cut one end off and strip back the insulation and shield. There are four wires inside. The red and black are power conductors and the only ones needed. Trim the other wires back out of the way. route this cable back through the fan housing the same way as the old cable. Attach the red wire to the red fan lead and the black wire to the black fan lead. I soldered the wires and covered them with shrink tubing but small butt connectors would work also.
    20151028_152506.jpg
    Plug into the Ravpower unit and test:
    20151028_153016.jpg
    Reassemble the fan into the helmet and enjoy!
    20151028_153249.jpg

Rich - this looks like a real nice setup! I know nothing about these battery packs, so have to ask - how long does it take to charge the pack? I don't see a plug - how do you charge the battery pack?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Rich - this looks like a real nice setup! I know nothing about these battery packs, so have to ask - how long does it take to charge the pack? I don't see a plug - how do you charge the battery pack?
    There are three USB ports on the RAVpower. The 2 larger ones are outputs. The small one in the center is the input or charging port. The RAVPower comes with two cables hat can be used either way. Attach the small center port (called USB Micro) to the USB output of your cell phone charger, a USB port on your computer or a USB port in your car.

Thanks Rich and everyone that kept this thread evolving! I picked up the RAVpower battery, rewired my helmet for USB and just tried the new configuration out yesterday - WORKS like a charm! The battery comes with a cloth pouch, so instead of attaching the battery to the helmet (I really didn't want any additional weight on my neck!) I just placed the battery into the pouch, then slipped it into my back pocket. Amazed at how easy the conversion was and am beyond happy with the huge cost savings!

Thanks everyone!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I know this thread is a few years old so please forgive me for reviving it. My Airstream battery just quit on me and I am interested in what I have been reading above. Can any of you give me any long term results on these battery packs? How long have they lasted? Charge times? Run time? Pros and cons? Thank you very much for your help.
    Brad McCollum
    Mac Woodworks

I have 2 of the USB lith-ion packs and have been using them for a couple of years. On the smaller of the 2, I get about 6 hours. On the larger, I get more than a day. As for charging times, I really don't know, as I'm charging one while using the other and don't keep track. There are many more on the market now than there were when Alan started this thread and when I bought mine. The price has come down considerably also.

The key to choosing is to ensure that the output will take a draw of 2 amps. Many of the less expensive ones will only take a draw of 1 amp. The motors on the Airstream draw more than that, so the circuitry shuts down the output.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

do we know what will work in what is available now ----tks,joe

This is still available. https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Port...00XC1W9H6?th=1 It's the one used in the most recent conversion.

I received my Ravpower 20000 mAh pack today and it is a no go. When ever I hook it up the fan starts to nun but kicks off instantly. Ordering the one listed above tomorrow. Hoping it will work. Getting behind on orders.

That's good to know, Brad.

The title in the Amazon link says that it is 4.5 amp dual output, which would seem to indicate each of the 2 output ports could take a draw of 2.25 amps. However, in the description of the unit, the output is listed as taking a combined draw of 3.5 amps. That would put each port to 1.75. In my experience, anything less than 2 amps will not work. On startup, my blower draws about 2.1 amps. It settles down to about 1.8 or so. It's the initial 2.1 amp draw that excludes many of the "charging" units that are available.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

does the ravpower 1040 power from either output------mine only powers from the one closet to the input the other wont---tks,joe

Well my Ravpower 10400 arrived the other day. It does the same thing as the others I've tried. As soon as power is applied to the fan the circuit kicks open and shuts it down. The only thing can figure is that these new power banks have sensors built in that will not allow the slightest over draw. I have not been able to find a lithium power bank that will take this much draw. So I went old school. Drove over to my neighborhood hobby shop and picked up a 4.8 volt, 2000 mAh, 4 cell power pack. (AA battery size cells) These are made for radio control boats and planes and weigh only a few ounces. Picked up a charger, a switch and some shrink tube along with and spent less than $50. Bottom line is it works. As soon as I tidy up the installation and get a better feel for run time and charge time I'll post some pics in a follow up.
    Brad McCollum
    Mac Woodworks

Has anyone tried the ravpower 26800 ? Amazon is running a 10% sale and I was thinking about buying one.
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 08-18-2017 at 9:00 AM. Reason: typo