Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Knew" at Lee Valley!!! Anybody see this yet?

"Knew" at Lee Valley!!! Anybody see this yet?

Looks like Rob has added another great tool to his ever growing stable of premium products!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...90&cat=51&ap=1

Blog Entries
    They added them to the list at Highland Woodworking just recently as well.

Damn...and they're STILL about $100!
    Maurice

Picked one up from Highland a little ways back and I wish I had waited for the 8", but honestly the 6" saw is awesome for clearing out the waste. I could never get a coping saw into the same kerf as the dovetail saw so I'd have to cut it out in two pieces, not with this baby. They make a titanium one too for about 3x the price. A little overkill in opinion. $100 is enough for a saw to clean out waste!

What is wrong with a regular jeweler's saw for clearing out waste? I can see a light weight frame for fret sawing where you'll be using the saw for extended periods of time.

Saw them at WWIA back in September, and couldn't figure out any way to justify the price.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I don't understand the complaining about the price of this saw. It is a premium tool, no different than a blue spruce chisel or a bad axe saw. None of these tools are cheap compared to other options yet many buy them anyways. Premium tools are just another option for those interested.

By all accounts this saw has a very rigid frame and can tension blades well, in addition the blade can be rotated 45* without having to bend the blade, a nice feature unavailable on any other saw to my knowledg. I don't currently have one of these but I definitely plan on getting one at some point.

That looks like a nice saw, very stout... Fwiw almost all coping saws have two tabs that with a little dexterity can turn the blade without twisting it. Id like to try one but it would have to beat my jewelers saw by a long shot for me to buy it.

On a different note anyone cut waste with a fein multimaster? I tried it a few months ago and i think with a jig or something it would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    What is wrong with a regular jeweler's saw for clearing out waste? I can see a light weight frame for fret sawing where you'll be using the saw for extended periods of time.
    Come on George...its all the rage! Get on the bandwagon!!

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

If I want one,I'll make it!! I thought all those saws were titanium. Guess not. If they are just aluminum,no problem ,making one. No problem with the titanium either,except for the price of the blank metal.

I wonder what grade of aluminum was used for that. Also, is it stamped or CNC? I can do both. I'm working out the details on acquiring a CNC mill. Maybe I'll start my own high-end woodworking products company. The only difference is that I will take the Roy Underhill/Norm Abrams attitude and not the Rob Cosman/Tom Cruise attitude.

Have you tried a thin kerf Olson blade? I have never had an issue getting it into the kerf left by my wenzloff early Kenyon DT saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Berlin View Post
    Picked one up from Highland a little ways back and I wish I had waited for the 8", but honestly the 6" saw is awesome for clearing out the waste. I could never get a coping saw into the same kerf as the dovetail saw so I'd have to cut it out in two pieces, not with this baby. They make a titanium one too for about 3x the price. A little overkill in opinion. $100 is enough for a saw to clean out waste!

Blog Entries
    I believe the Knew Concepts Saw is a jeweler's saw, made by a jeweler. As I understand it Derek Cohen helped him with a couple design features that strengthened the bodies and blade tensioning system enough so they are uniquely adaptable to fine woodworking. Derek made some posts, on these pages, detailing his involvement in the development process. I think these saws are, or originally were, made by the jeweler who came up with the idea for a better jeweler's saw. Another words, these are not "mass produced" by some tool company, which of course, runs the production cost up.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-14-2012 at 8:53 AM.

I have the aluminum one from when they first came out. I wish I hadn't bought it even though at the time, I think it was about $50 (the new one has more contraptions on it and is heavier, I hear). I suppose there will be some point in the future maybe where I do fretwork and it is nice to use then, but as folks contemplate buying a $200 saw to cut waste out of dovetails, i'm starting to wonder what's next.

I still use a home depot coping saw if I cut waste from between dovetails. I can be as rough as I want to be with it, and in the end it takes about the same amount of time to go right down the middle of a tail with it and then cut across as it does to baby a fretsaw blade.

Am I understanding the history correctly when I recall that the maker had originally intended to make the saw for jewelers and metalworkers? (long before any of the current offerings came about).

If someone was buying it to do fretwork, I would understand. If someone is buying it to do 10 sets of dovetails a year, I don't, despite the fact that I'm sure the new version is more suited to dovetails than the one that I got (which is more delicate as it was intended to be used for fretwork).

Blog Entries
    Here is some developmental history on Derek's site:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tsFretsaw.html