Thread: old vs. new clearvue

old vs. new clearvue

I have found an older(?) clearvue cyclone dust collector. Here's my question: the older model has a 14" impeller the new has a 15". any other differences I should consider?
    Thanks for the help.
    "Time flys like an arrow........ Fruit flies like a bannana."

The impeller makes a big difference. A 1 1/2 hp cyclone has a 13", a 2 hp has a 14, and the larger hp units have bigger impellers. Think about it, it makes a lot of difference in cfm's. My 2 hp has a 14", and it is barely big enough for my shop. Now I wish I had bought a 3 hp.

Andy,

ClearVue made three models: the CV1400, the CV1800 (the one most hobbyists buy) and the CV 1800 Max (for multiple machines in use at the same time). All three were based on the Bill Pentz design and proportions. I believe you are talking about the CV1400 model which was discontinued a year or more ago. I t had less power and a shorter footprint. When I was in the market and I spoke to Ed Morgano (he was then the owner) he steered me away from that unit as being less cost effective than the CV1800. I would recommend that you contact the new owners for the specs and fan curve of the CV1400 and/or go to the Clearvue owners forum on the Clearvue website and pose your questions there. I have never heard a bad word about any ClearVue products and quite a number of CV1400s were sold. I believe that all models had the same 5 hp motor. I wound up with the CV1800, but if my shop had shorter runs I would have been OK with the smaller unit.

If the motor is the same and the unit doesn't perform quite the way you want you can swap out the fan for a couple hundred assuming the housing has enough room to efficiently deliver the new airflow. Dave