Thread: Neat video

Neat video

I used to have a friend that was a first class cobbler, and recently I was thinking about picking up a cobblers kit just to have in the house so I could maybe mix woodwork and leather to make some shoes. Well, inevitably I ended up checking out the Dutch clogs and here's a neat video showing some of the work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WrDDfTBVQ

I'm really posting the video because the stationary wood trimmer at 2:20 in the video is awesome. I could use something like that.
    It's sufficiently stout..

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw the wood trimmer - that's pretty akin to how I use a chisel a lot of times, but that big old thing would make holding the stock a lot easier to use the same technique for odd angles and such.

I haven't watched it in a while, but there's some cog making in this neat video from the early 20's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGDkliy1DEU

Those guys seem to remove more stock from inside the shoe before progressing with shaping, if I remember correctly. I think they used a big t-auger, and a sort of t-auger spoon bit. I'll have to watch it again. I wonder how the folks in your video begin the removal of stock from inside of the shoe.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 02-16-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if those have good arch support.

I also like enough room to wiggle my toes.

The slicer looks like an elongated draw knife. My drawknife has adjustable handles. Could probably take one off and rig it to work like the one in the video.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)